Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Promoting/accelerating dread process

GualeeZy
@gualeezy
11 years ago
9 posts
My hair doesnt seem to be doing much in the front. I did tnr on the back of my head but about from the crown of my head forward didnt get done so I had them sectioned and I attempted to do it myself (didnt work well) So the hair is sectioned slightly but its all out pretty much, I know it takes a long time todread hair but my hair doesnt seem like its doing anything. It gets oily quick and I was trying to go the natural/neglect method on the front so I think it will be more difficult.Ive heard about tams but im not completely sure what they are. If anyone can give ne tips to help the dread provess go by quicker or accesories that can help then comment please
updated by @gualeezy: 01/13/15 09:45:46PM
Crystalyn
@crystalyn
11 years ago
38 posts

do you do baking soda washes? also maybe (if youre doing apple cider vinegar rinses) you might be using too much acv, or not rinsing it right away?

you can try some of the shampoos on this site/liquid and bars. they smell great! ive been doing both bs/acv washes and using the bars. i switch off each week. because im trying to see if one seems to work better than the other. lol

also you dont need to wear a tam, that doesnt nec mean it would help. it could hurt the process as well if your hair isnt free to move. try putting a 100% wool sweater over your pillow at night? or go utside more in the wind. lol

also time. it will happen, just gotta be patient. im a month in and my hair is separting very well and very frizzy, so im thinking itll start to knot any week now. lol

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Sea salt spray. You can make it yourself by putting a spoonful of sea salt in a spray bottle then filling it up with tap water. shake well. Spray hair a couple of hours before your regular wash. Search google for ETSY shops then put tams into their search bar. There are a lot of beautiful handmade tams there. ( I am too lazy to put a link in ) If you buy a tam make sure it is wool. Wool encourages knotting.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if your very oily wash with baking soda...no acv at all for awhile and extend the wash cycle by a day..then 2 till u can go 3 to 4 days without being oily then u can switch or start adding a lil acv slowly but keep tyhe same cycle

this will reduce oiliness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well hi there. Natural dreads = patience, lots of it. You are already worried at only 9 days in...to little time...too much worries. The hair is going through a separating process right now, not dreading yet. Around the face and hairline and ears, we tend to be more oily, so the hair there does not dread as fast as the rest, sometimes it may not even dread there. Do the baking soda wash as others suggested, washing 2-3 times a week in the beginning. At the end of your shower, rinse your hair in as cold water as you can take, this process closes the pores on the scalp, slowing down the time hair gets oily. You are just starting out, so when your hair sections, make sure that they are no larger than a quarter/25 cent coin at the scalp- your scalp section is the width your mature dread will be. If they are larger, divide into smaller sections. Anything larger than this size will eventually cause long term problems being: weight, long drying time, higher chance of mold if they do not dry properly due to the thickness. If you want fat dreads, that's cool, just be aware of problems. This will be a long journey that I hope you enjoy along the way. Remember, no worries, just let them be. Welcome

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

oh haha 9 days in?

what do u expect it to do at 9 days

if u notice anything at all in 9 days your in the 1%

relax

it will happen

not today

not tomorow

but when you forget how many days its been and maybe even weeks