Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Pomade in the early days.

Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

As much as I hate to admit it... In the early days of knotting, before my dreads really formed, I used pomade in my hair to style it.

Now, there are a few locks that have tons of lint trapped in them.... and I'm starting to think that the pomade may be the culprit.

Has anyone dealt with this before? What should I wash with to try and get the lint out?!

updated by @melony: 01/13/15 09:45:31PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I am not really sure what the ingredients in the pomade are. It wouldn't hurt to wash with Dawn dish washing soap and really the hottest water you can stand. I find that I get a lot more lint in the winter because of all the wool sweaters and wool scarves that i wear. try to use tweezers to pick it out, I do a lot less damage by using them instead of my fingers. Good luck. :)

Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

Thanks! I will try washing with dish soap!

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Dawn is the best to wash with. :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Unfortunately even once is too much when using products in dreads, but at least you are only 4 1/2 months in, easier to get it out. If pomade, gels, wax or anything else like those are used, even once, it causes problems down the road. Things like lint, dust, etc will attach to the dread & work its way in, can't wash it out because it is glued in. These products also trap water droplets inside the dread, causing smells, mold and just plain funk. Glad you asked here for help. The DAWN dish soap will take you a few times probably, but you will notice the difference right away. Please don't stop at one time, you want to make sure that it is all out from the center. Give yourself a treat after the second attempt and after rinsing it out in the shower, fill the tub & let yourself & dreads soak underwater for about 20 minutes. They will enjoy floating around and more of the soap & pomade will work its way out during the hair dance. Enjoy the changes along the way

Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

I used dawn dish soap yesterday to wash my hair. I took a huge pitcher and filled it about halfway with a dish soap/water mix and I stuck the ends of my hair into the pitcher and let them soak for a few minutes. then I poured the entire thing over my head and let that sit for about 10 minutes and washed it out with hot hot water.
After I got out of the shower I noticed that my hair seemed more brittle and and the ends were wanting to fold up into my dreads.. so I took some scissors and trimmed the ends off all my dreads (not even an inch worth,) just trimmed off the super long frizzy split ends) and now it looks a lot healthier.

The dish soap wash seemed to get some of the lint out but there is still a little bit left in there so I will probably do it again tonight.... although the fact that it made my hair feel more brittle did worry me;

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i wouldnt risk doing it again if it made your hair feel brittle. just try to get the lint out with tweezer like taye said. the ends folding up is just a sign of dreading ive pulled the ends out when they started doing that and they just kept on doing it lol. just do a baking soda/acv rinse.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form