Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

freshly combed hair!

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
So, as I posted a few days ago, I was starting over due to a horrible start with my dreads Here's my hair, freshly combed out and trimmed. I know from what I've read that I only need 6 inches to start natural, but for some reason I feel like my hair isn't long enough lol. Yes, it's well over 6 inches. I guess I'm just nervous as to whether or not my hair looks like it's a good length to start neglect. Should I let it get longer first for good results?
updated by @cristin-nessen: 01/13/15 09:44:31PM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

my hair was about the same length as yours when i started and grew all the way to my butt before it really started shrinking. wash with bs in the beginning to encourage knotting.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
How long did it take to start knotting? I feel like my last set woulda tightened and matured so well if I hadn't messed up and crocheted and used wax :( That's why I'm starting over, neglect. I feel like my hair tangles and gets scraggly pretty fast lol, so I'm hoping it'll go kinda fast! But patience is the key!
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

my hair was wavy but super soft when i started. i didn't get my first knots until around 5-6 months. i didn't start to get shrinkage until 23 months. it had a lot of time to grow long during that time. most of my hair is now at or above my shoulders. i think most of the shrinking is done. yours will probably knot up a lot quicker than mine though since you said it tangles easily. that was never a problem for me pre-dreads. i never even brushed my hair before. drying it out with bs washes was the trick. oh and sea salt sprays but i don't need to do that anymore:)

Cristin Nessen said:

How long did it take to start knotting? I feel like my last set woulda tightened and matured so well if I hadn't messed up and crocheted and used wax :( That's why I'm starting over, neglect. I feel like my hair tangles and gets scraggly pretty fast lol, so I'm hoping it'll go kinda fast! But patience is the key!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
That's awesome! Your hair looks really good! You're very lovely! :)My hair has kind of a weird texture. Like the individual hairs are really fine, but have almost a coarseness to them. My hair is also a little wavy with a bit of volume/body. I never thought I'd say that I'm lucky it tangles easy! Haha
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Our hair is totally different, but I had baby dreads by about 3 1/4 - 4 months, and it was probably shorter than 6 inches. But, with the time it will take your hair to section out it might have grown 2 inches, maybe.. Then the dreading can really begin. So don't be concerned that it is too short. Just enjoy the ride :)

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
I was actually thinking the same thing too, about it growing as it does its thing. It should be long enough then. Thanks!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
Awesome! Thank you!!! :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form