Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Making your own peyote dread sleeves!

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

After browsing the other day for dread accessories, I came across peyote sleeves with cool designs that I thought were really pretty. I remembered seeing the link for a how-to on this site and searched it, finding that it was actually fairly cheap and easy to make (assuming you are a moderately patient person).

http://www.dreadspullen.nl/tutorials/peyotestitchsleeves-tut-2.php

Me being the crafty person that I am, I jumped at the chance to make my very own designs for these cool accessories and made a run to the nearest store to grab some supplies. Different color, super tiny seed beads, beading nylon string and beading needles.

Just to give anyone interested in this project heads-up, the nylon string I bought was too thick to feed through the tiny eye in the needle, so really look closely at them before buying. I actually ended up using a small sewing needle instead, which works, but can end up sticking you while you work.

Here is my first one:

It didn't turn out too awful, so as you can see, it's pretty easy to catch on. :)

And then last night I wanted to make something a little different and made this.

Its a bunneh!!

Anyways my point to this thread is that I was interested in seeing if anyone else makes their own dread accessories and to share their creations. There are so many fun ways to decorate your dreads, lets see what you can do!

updated by @sarah16: 02/14/15 05:19:45AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u shouldnt need the needle at all just thread the nylon string through wich should be stiff enough to slide through like a needle

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

The string I have isn't stiff at all. But I did try doing it without the needle anyway to see if it worked and the end kept fraying before I could get the bead through. So I got a lighter and singed the end to prevent the fraying, and it was very difficult trying to force it through one of the beads so I called it quits. I'm probably not using the right kind of nylon string, but I didn't go to a craft store to buy my supplies and my choices were limited anyway.

Have you made any beads/sleeves for your dreads, SE? I'd love to see. :D

soaring eagle said:

u shouldnt need the needle at all just thread the nylon string through wich should be stiff enough to slide through like a needle

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
I made few of my own :) with Japanese seed beads and fireline beading thread :)I enjoy making them a lot. they are fun and easy.
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i love making peyote dread beads! i've even sold a few:) i have pics on my page of some of the ones i made. love your bunny bead!

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

Your beads are great! Your stuff actually were some of the ones that helped inspire me to make them. ^_^ I tried making one with a shroom on it like you did and it ended up looking very warped and silly, haha.

And now I have discovered beading grids! Yay!

Heather said:

i love making peyote dread beads! i've even sold a few:) i have pics on my page of some of the ones i made. love your bunny bead!

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

I'd love to see them! :D

Lapis Angela Lazuli said:

I made few of my own :) with Japanese seed beads and fireline beading thread :)

I enjoy making them a lot. they are fun and easy.I
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

I just tried my hand at polymer clay beads last night...I made 4..the one with blue dots was my first (obviously) the rainbow spiral was my second, then the blue green spiral, and then my pride one!!! I was pretty proud of myself........BTW Your Peyote sleeves are wonderful!

updated by @cole-morton: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

LOVE those!! And thank you! ^_^

You are very good at making those, the rainbow spiral is my fave.

Cole Morton said:

I just tried my hand at polymer clay beads last night...I made 4..the one with blue dots was my first (obviously) the rainbow spiral was my second, then the blue green spiral, and then my pride one!!! I was pretty proud of myself........BTW Your Peyote sleeves are wonderful!

updated by @sarah16: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jennifer Tiernan
@jennifer-tiernan-bindler
11 years ago
5 posts

OMG I love your bunny!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form