Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Super Itchy Scalp!! *UPDATE: help!*

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

My dreads are 5 months old. The past few days my scalp has been incredibly itchy. So so itchy! I have tried adding tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil to my shampoo and flaxseed gel and it hasn't helped at all. I just discovered that my dog has a few fleas but there is no infestation. plus 90% of my house doesn't have carpet. I have had my husband go through my dreads thoroughly several times to see if by some strange chance I have gotten fleas from the dog... Nope. no fleas or lice. Plus SE said fleas won't infest human hair. I just had him check my scalp again about 5 minutes ago and nothing. no bugs, no redness (not even from me scratching,) no bites, no eggs. he did say that he noticed at my roots that there was some dandruff type stuff with a slight yellow tinge. He said it looked just like dandruff other than the yellow tinge.

well, I live in Florida and my husband says we have hard water. somehow i'm clueless and didn't realize that fact. I have been washing my dreads with castile soap. do i have build up on my scalp? and if so, is that what is causing this awful itchiness? and how can i get rid of the build up?

updated by @justsomechick: 02/14/15 03:25:13AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

That could be the issue. A good 2 washes with a clarifying shampoo will get rid of the residue. You can get one in a travel sized bottle so you don't have to feel like you wasted a ton of money on a soap you aren't going to use again (Hopefully).

Have you changed up your washing routine lately? Maybe washed a little less frequently? Sometimes when I change up my routine I get itchy.

If he likes to play with your hair, a good scalp massage always helps.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

i dyed my hair a few weeks ago and washed A TON to get the dye out. and i also did a big acv wash (i used an entire bottle of acv) about a week to get the remnants of the dye out.

BeauZay
@beauzay
11 years ago
92 posts

Could be gunk/residue from your home made "shampoo" or "flaxseed gel"...maybe?

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Try rosemary oil in a spray bottle. Spray the 'hot spots' when they get bad. Rinse your hair after washing with cold water.
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Wait...a few drops of rosemary oil in a spray bottle with water. Not straight oil lol
rachael orme
@rachael-orme
11 years ago
3 posts
Tea tree is the solution to dry itch scalp i just rub some of the tea tree oil on the itchy spots. Also if u do the baking soda wash u could add some tea tree oil in that too:) hope that helps
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

most likely build up. fyi tea tree oil is very drying so go easy on it if you have an already dry scalp. did you have dandruff issues before dreadlocks? yellow tinted dandruff can also be a condition known as seborrheic dermatitis. you might want to look it up.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

Nope, never had dandruff before. I looked up seborrheic dermatitis, that's definitely not it. it's very mild, my husband barely noticed it.

I went out and bought some clarifying shampoo and washed with it. i feel like 90% better.

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
11 years ago
100 posts

rosemary...or a real aloe plant

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form