dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice needed for my young dreads

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and i'm not sure if i'm placing this thread the right place(?).
I come from Denmark, this is why my english ain't the best.

2 of my friends from school, made my dreads the 21. december 2012. I love the hair, and i was very happy for them the first 5 days or so. Im still happy for them, but i'm starting to get worried.
Right now it looks like a birds nest. Or shitlocks as some would call it. There is alot of loose hair (i can live with that) but the dreads themselves is getting looser and looser.
I'm not able to crochet hook(?) them, since i think they are too loose. But im not sure if i just have to force it ? Tho it seems like they are getting loose by hooking them.

Most of them actually seems ok at the roots, but it's mostly the last 20 cm of the hair that's loose (my hair is 23-24 cm).

As you can see, the ends of my dreadlocks is not fixed yet. Could this be the reason why they are getting loose?
I use around an hour a day "rolling" the dreads between my hands, but it haven't really helped.

I hope you have some inputs, thanks!
- The dude from Denmark

updated by @lars-graversen: 02/14/15 12:32:25PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Your locks are only 2 weeks old. They should be loose. They should almost not even look like locks yet. Mature locks take about a year to form. You've got a long way to go before they start looking tighter.

NEVER crochet. Crocheting is the most damaging thing that can be done to locks. It rips hairs into smaller and smaller pieces which makes your locks weaker and weaker. They can eventually get so weak that a light tug will snap it off in places. They can also snap off at the roots, leaving a bald spot.

You need to have loose hairs. Those hairs are what tangles with the new growth and tightens it into the lock. Over time, those hairs go away, but there will always be some loose hairs. This is healthy.

Like I said on your page, too, you need to get the wax out for them to mature anyway. Wax will only stop them from progressing.

Check out the timeline forums to see what other members looked like at 2 weeks.

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Thanks mate.

I just needed someone with experience to tell me, that my hair wasen't going in the wrong direction.
I've only read about the hair, i do not know anyone with dreads, and the internet is damn confusing when looking for dreadlock help.

I will stop using the wax then. I only bought it, because it is a 100% natural product, that is made for maintaining the dreads.

Should i just continue "rolling" the dreads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 they did a horible job 2 never eger ever hook them 3 stop rolling them 4 leave them alone 5 what are u wshing with

6 tghe ends dont need anything u just got to leave em alone to dread

they dont need force

your freinds are idiots sorry to say that but they are

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wax is a scam its like glue its not made for dreads they just use it for dreads idiots used to use peanut butter eggs axel grease glue and toothpaste to make dreads so the wax pushers thought wax was a better idea ofcoursethe ppl that were using these things were clueless morons and the ppl who thought wax was a better idea wwre greedy sadistic cluelrss morons

dreads need to be clean free of any gunk

unfortunately its not good enough to stop using wax u must remove it wich is extremely hard to do and what lil dread u got left will likely come out with the wax

wax is pure evil

now when u get it out u can either go natural..sti]op combing and let it dread or twist and rip and then leave em alone

no rolling! just leave em alone

Lars Graversen said:

Thanks mate.

I just needed someone with experience to tell me, that my hair wasen't going in the wrong direction.
I've only read about the hair, i do not know anyone with dreads, and the internet is damn confusing when looking for dreadlock help.

I will stop using the wax then. I only bought it, because it is a 100% natural product, that is made for maintaining the dreads.

Should i just continue "rolling" the dreads?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Eagle, im currently washing with a shampoo with nothing damaging in it (im sure there aint), but it's not made directly for dreads.
I want to buy a good shampoo, but im only able to find these 3 dreadshampoo's in Denmark:
- Knotty Boy - Liquid Natural Dreadlock Shampoo
- Abeni Rocks - Liquid Dreadlock Shampoo
- Dr. Bronner - Fair Trade Liquid Shampoo

These are all liquids. But im not sure what to choose.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you have soft water, the Dr. Bronners is the best of those. But it doesn't work with hard water.

You could always use Baking Soda. It might be called Bread Soda, or something else over there. It's not the same as Baking powder, though. DON'T use baking powder.

Dreadlockshampoo.com sells the best soap. If you buy a few bars or bottles at the same time, the shipping stays the same. You can get 5-8 bars without the shipping going up

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Thanks guys.

Baba, the water here isen't really soft. I have south american aquariums, and i have to do alot of process to get soft water.
I'll have a look at the website, thanks.

I' will be chilling mate!

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Some of my dreads is "splitting" up at the roots. At a few of them, im able to put my finger through them at the roots. Should i just keep leaving them?
I will order shampoo fromDreadlockshampoo.com today, but how much should i order? I thought that 2 liquid shampoo dragon blood and some bars for later use. Is this ok? Or should i order less/more?

Noah Meyers
@noah-meyers
11 years ago
7 posts
I am a very impatient person and have found that if u stop trying to dread ur hair and just let it go and do what it wants, you will see progress when you do remember to remember heck your progress. Just forget about them, they will come. No worries. Peace be the journey.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form