dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crocheting roots?

Lexiie Conroy
@lexiie-conroy
12 years ago
15 posts

Hi!
My dreads are still babies, only 3 days today!
The majority of them are wrapped (I was told this is going to help them to not get tangled with the rest of my hair. I only have the bottom half of my head done)

My roots aren't really loose, but should I crochet them to help them? Or just wait a while?
The ones that are wrapped I leave alone, the few that aren't I palm roll with aloe every once in a while.

And any other advice would be super appreciated. Thanks!!

updated by @lexiie-conroy: 02/15/15 03:58:02AM
Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

No, you should never crochet, the roots lock up on their own. Crocheting is very damaging, it breaks alot of hair, creating a huge problem. You don't need to palm roll either. It doesnt do anything, unless you o it often enough to cause damage. I think wrapping this early on will stop the hair from moving, which it needs to do to knot up and dread.

Otherwise, congrats on having some new dreads. :)

Lexiie Conroy
@lexiie-conroy
12 years ago
15 posts

They're not fully wrapped. There's lots of hair showing. Should I unwrap them?

Tim said:

No, you should never crochet, the roots lock up on their own. Crocheting is very damaging, it breaks alot of hair, creating a huge problem. You don't need to palm roll either. It doesnt do anything, unless you o it often enough to cause damage. I think wrapping this early on will stop the hair from moving, which it needs to do to knot up and dread.

Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

I think you should unwrap them. Just wait until some one else chimes in. I have never wrapped dreads before, that is what I have been told though. :) How did you start them? They havn't actually had a chance to move and knot yet, so they are not technically dreads. Did you use wax. Perhaps you should tell us exactly what you did.

Peace and blessings. :)

Lexiie Conroy said:

They're not fully wrapped. There's lots of hair showing. Should I unwrap them?

Tim said:

Lexiie Conroy
@lexiie-conroy
12 years ago
15 posts

My friend did them for me, actually.

She took the section of hair into two parts, twisted them thenseparatedthem again. She did that all the way down. The bottom layer was back combed, but the rest weren't.
No, there's no wax in them, the only ting that's been on/in them was water and aloe.

Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

Basically all you need to do now, is wash them 3-4 times a week, and separate them when they start to join other dreads. You will get heaps of advice here. Get good shampoo. It is crucial to have good shampoo.
Lexiie Conroy said:

My friend did them for me, actually.

She took the section of hair into two parts, twisted them thenseparatedthem again. She did that all the way down. The bottom layer was back combed, but the rest weren't.
No, there's no wax in them, the only ting that's been on/in them was water and aloe.

Lexiie Conroy
@lexiie-conroy
12 years ago
15 posts

Can I use a normal brand? As long as they're not a conditioning shampoo?

Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

No, because most shampoo will be full of residue, which gets get stuck in the hair/dreads, it weighs them down, and stops them from drying out properly, causing mold issues. I use dreadlockshampoo.com, it is awesome. They advertise on this site, they post quickly, it is the best I have used, I have used quite a few different shampoos, I highly recommend.

Lexiie Conroy said:

Can I use a normal brand? As long as they're not a conditioning shampoo?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome but nooo never ever crochet them period thats just destruction dont palm roll ..especialy with aloe aloes conditioning and they wont dread just wash and seperate its nit good to have em wrapped so young either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

are the wraps full wrapps or the x pattern wraps

if x u can leave en but u sure dont need em

if u got rubber bands in take em all out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2