Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A bit of 'oops', but YAY anyway!!!!!

bells
@bells
12 years ago
10 posts

So, on Christmas day i started my baby dreadies. Wheeee!!! i used TnR, and got maybe a half dozen or so done in the front before i really got the hang of it. They look really almost braided, and i'm afraid they won't dread properly. Should i take them out and redo them, or should i just let 'em hang and see what they decide to do? i want these to be forever, so i don't want to give them a bad start to their (hopefully) long lives.

So thrilled to be starting this journey, and super happy i found this site.

updated by @bells: 01/13/15 09:42:20PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Depending on how random you TnR'd they can have that braided look for a little bit. The more random you twist, the less braided they look. They won't look like braids forever. Once you wash, they will come untangled. They'll start to retangle more naturally, and will look more organic in time.

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

I have TnRed as well and the first week or so will look braided. I'm going into week 4 Monday and they do not look braided at all anymore. Go and keep out my pics.

bells
@bells
12 years ago
10 posts

That's encouraging!!! The first few i was so uptight, worried about messing 'em up, it wasn't until i started getting to the back that i started to relax and they stopped coming out so...neat, i guess.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

typical thats why u should start underneath on more hidden ones for your practice dreds cause u do get better as u get used to it and more relaxed..the less u think about it the bestter cause then your more random by default

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Bells. I also did T&R after waiting a couple of weeks for the natural separating to happen. Leave your hair alone now, don't retwist, retighten or fuss with it as it needs to loosen in order to dread- the loosening will get rid of the braided look. (Sometimes more twist and less rips are made with T&R which causes the braided look) All you need to do is separate so that dreads don't join others. If you have not seen it, Baba Fats has a video posted on how to separate. Do nothing else, just sit back and enjoy the funky journey.

bells
@bells
12 years ago
10 posts

Oh oh oh, that's awesome, and exactly what i needed to hear. Just let 'em live! The first night i slept in them a whole bunch of hair slipped, so now my head looks crazy, but i think i like it even better than two days ago. i'm by nature a fiddly, nervous creature, so i'm just looking to breathe and let go of any anxiety about them.

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

The messy stage is the awesomeness and that will be coming soon in the next few months, but it can happened sooner also.

bells
@bells
12 years ago
10 posts

i'm expecting they'll be super messy a whole bunch. My hair is really fine and tends to have wispies e'erwhere anyway.

As an aside, is it safe to put 'em up in a ponytail?

bells
@bells
12 years ago
10 posts

Yeah, i got a tam to keep the kitchen smells off my dreadies (i'm a chef), so work is cool, but i've been looping one around a few on the top just to keep them from flopping into my face at home. i'm afraid it may be a bit early in the game for that noise.

Hari Shabad said:

Yeah you can put em up loosely take down asap. A saving strategy when the tornafo stage hits and u need to look respectable.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form