Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need help!!!!

Laura Baffa
@laura-baffa
12 years ago
2 posts
Hi! I have been dreading for 1 1/2 months and I started with the crochet method not knowing it would damage my hair. I keep having to touch it up at least once a week because they become so loose. I want to stop crocheting but am not sure to continue to have them neat and orderly. Why products should I use? Salt water? How can I tighten them? Should I use wax? Sorry for all the questions but thanks!! :)
updated by @laura-baffa: 01/13/15 09:42:09PM
Theodora Martino
@theodora-martino
12 years ago
22 posts

No Wax. Wax is never the answer. Salt water is fine, just make sure to wash it out afterwards

Thats all i know for sure :)

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
No wax, ever. If you want to quit crocheting (it's best if you do) you're going to have a mess for a while. All those promenade hairs are going to start poking out and getting frizzy. It's just how it is. There is no way to get them all neat and orderly, until they are fully mature. Even then they may not be.The very best products to use are none. Well, I good shampoo (dreadlockshampoo.com) and that's it. Then embrace the frizzy mess and let your hair recover from the damage done by the crocheting.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Oh wow, um not 'promenade' lol that's crocheted!
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

No, DON'T EVER use wax! EVER! And STOP crocheting! They need time to recover! The best thing you can do for dreads is just keep them clean and seperate on occation! That's all you need to do! Time and paitence are virtues when it comes to dreads! You will always have loose hairs from new growth. Just leave them alone!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome 1st off nooo wax 2nd theyt are suposed to be loose at a month 3rd you should prey fpr them top loosen fast crochet makes them way too tight to dread thats why it takes 6 months to even begion to dread if used only once!

now u did severe harm..over and over so it might take a year too recover ..might not u might get lucky and they recover in 7-8 months

now what yopu should do

wash 1-3 times a week lightly condition with alow or jojoba to begin loooseing them up once they are soft frizzy and flexible stop the conditioning once u see loops start using sea sqlt..rarely to start the tightening back up process

u do not want to rush tightening wich normaly will take a yer but since u crochetted em so mucuh it might take u 2

the 1st 3-4 month sshou;d be the loosest

even fall apart completely (if u backcomb or tnr)

remember the best waty to dread is let it dread dont force it

satop combing and it dreads itself so thats the way you should frp]om hwere on out..stop trying to force it and let it do it itself

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Baffa
@laura-baffa
12 years ago
2 posts
Okay thanks for all the advice. No more crocheting!!!!!! And when my roots grow out should I just let them be also?
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Let your hair do whatever it wants. Hair will dread naturally with zero intervention. The worst thing you can do is wax and crochet. Really terrible for your hair. You have likely broken loads of hair and thats why it looks like you need to crochet again. It's a vicious cycle. Just let them be and most of those loose hairs will be sucked back into the dreads.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the roots will dread themselves but they will be loose..up to 3 inches for many months then tighten up to 1/2 inch when mature forse em to be tighter then thst and u can end up balf

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form