Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

judgement in early stages

Arsonal Da Rebel
@arsonal-da-rebel
12 years ago
6 posts
Ok so i have started my dreads a week ago amd already iam being judged by many people. Since my hair is a little crazy due to the early stages of dreads, people are saying things like i havent washed my hair in weeks, that my hair looks bad and o.ly continues to look bad throughout the dreading process, and i even had someone with a set of dreads tell me that the process i was doing was not the healthiest way for my hair and that i should try and start over and backcomb them next time. I just continue to ignore all of this crap but sometimes it reay gets to me. Just thought i shoyld vent since i have the opportunity to do so on this site.
updated by @arsonal-da-rebel: 02/14/15 09:52:06AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wait some idiot said that going naturals not healthy and backcombing is?

that makes no sence at all

you should have had him explain that logic for a laugh

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arsonal Da Rebel
@arsonal-da-rebel
12 years ago
6 posts
I tried to tell him about the info he was getting was wrong and that he should look at this site..but he was completely closed minded and laughed at what i said and made a joke out of it
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Judgement is something that you will have to deal with throughout your dread journey. It's part and parcel with having dreads. People may think your a stoner or hippie etc. These early stages are getting you introduced to the judgement that you will have to face. Take it as a learning experience , as it will help you grow into the person that you need to be. Eventually, you will be free from care of the judgement of others. Actually, I think that it is something that everyone should learn at some stage. I'm lucky, as I had dreads for years before, which started when I was 13.

Anyway, just put it in context and know what you are doing is right. If you can drop a bit of education on ignorant people; very goo. If not, then let them think what they think and go your own route.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

TnR is actually better and safer for your hair than backcombing! Just continue to ignore the idiots and let it all go in one ear and out the other!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

People judge, it's what we do. It come's so naturally to us, that some people take advantage of it (even subconsciously). They find every little thing that they can to pick at.

You are experiencing something that everyone here has gone through or is going through. People openly judging you about something you care deeply about. It's not like someone making fun of your political party, or the food you like. You wear your locks wherever you go. Everyone you meet sees them before they hear the words out of your mouth. It only takes 30 second to form an opinion of someone. From now on, that 30 seconds will happen with every single person you come in contact with, whether you speak to them, or just pass them on the street. It's up to you how you handle it.

My advice, joke about it. Find something funny to use to make a little fun of yourself, but not to the point of self-loathing. In Philly, people ask me "where are the drugs at?" or if I have any weed. I just laugh, and say "Do I look like a stoner?" then laugh. Sometimes I make a new friend who finds that hilarious (Of course I look like a stoner). Some people give anervouslaugh and walk away. Maybe because of my upbringing, I am able to ignore ridicule better, but laughter and ignoring those who judge make it easier for you go about your day without feeling guilty for your owndecisions.

Until you learn to ignore the insults, and pick and choose who you want to be in your life, we are always here to help you out and give you a place to vent

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
Baba is right, everyone judges others, it is hard wired into our brain. Being able to make quick judgements have kept us alive as a species. Unfortunately for dreadheads, most people have a negative sterotype of dreadlocks. I'm sure if you asked most people to play word association you would get stuff like, "drugs, rasta, weed, dirty, hippy, gangster, etc". The way I look at it though is that this gives dreadheads a keen awareness of what it means to be judged. Therefore we have a responsibility to be better then that and notice our own prejudices. Dreadheads should be the example others should want to be. However it is up to us to show this to others. Having just one person think " wow I was stupid to judge him just because of his hair" can change the world.
Ayeshat Tolu Ibitoye
@ayeshat-tolu-ibitoye
12 years ago
9 posts

wow.. he surely must have been joking?... well all u can do is keep in mind what ur hoping to achieve in the end.... i haven't started my dread journey yet (gotta out the braids first) but i have my motivation already in the form of a huge poster of Lauryn hill (my dread role model) so in summary.. screw all of them :-)

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
I'm currently in a days long debate with a co-worker about whether or not I'm a stoner. I'm not. Pot has never been my thing, it makes me throw up. Seriously. This co-worker is convinced that because I have dreads I get high. Even tho I have volunteered a drug test, he still doesn't believe. Whatever. I know the truth about me and that's all that counts. You know the truth about you, how clean you are and that you are making the rich choice for you and your hair. That's all that matters.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Is your coworker a funny person outside of this argument? I mean, do they like comedy?

I got into this with one of my coworkers. He always told me that I was wearing a potheads uniform. You can use that as your humor. If they know Dave Chapelle, they'll get the reference

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form