Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help my mom in law and husbad understand my dreads

joy
@joy
12 years ago
7 posts

So my dreads were born by t n r on october 6th and they fell out. Now their grown into messy but nice big babies which are already shrinking up. But my mother in law and husband absolutely hate them. What can I do to get them to understand? At time I think they look poorly but then 5 minutes later i'm like it's my hair and im proud of My hair. I dunno what to do now.. She thinks if I am to get a job I can't have my hair the way I want to. also my husband refers them to tangles and they both say I look like a homeless beach bum. :( not nice I know but they still love me and only want the best. but still.. advice appreciated.

updated by @joy: 01/13/15 09:41:45PM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

try not to let it get to ya, i know its not easy, but if anything dont let it show. they do not understand your journey, and trying to get them to understand is more often than not fruitless. simply state that it makes you very happy and comfortable with yourself. they should at least be able to understand that aspect enough to let it be and not say anything bad to you about it again.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dear huby and mom in law

i want you to understand my decision to dread and what it means to me

in todays society so much emphasis is put on unatural beauty, women are told to shave every hair from their bodies cover their faces in a mask like coating of makeup to starve themselves into an unatural thinness

spend hours a day in a gym to get abs and buns of steel all in an attempt to be more aceptable and at the same time they feel less and les in touch with the real self

dreading is a way of feeling truly myself for the 1st time in my life, as well as becoming the real natural me without artificial masks

to feel like myself is the most important thing in the world to me and to be put down for it ..is abusive

i understand yoir concerns but they are based on myths theres hardly any jobs that are affected by dreads these few are ..austraunaut, firefighter fighter jet pilot

in short any job requiring an airtight mask that might not fit right due to dreads

however those austraunauts never would have set foot on the moon withoit a man with dreads biuilding and designing the rocket that got them there (the same mans now a ceo of a largest refinery o biodeisel in the country and still has his dreads)

dreads are illegal to descriminate against since they are a religios expression ..of virtualy every religion..yours included if youd only do yoir research instead of just judging..in fact the dreads are considered the holiest of holy

this is another thing that makes dreads so important i learn things evey day through dreading it s a spiritual awakening for me thats making me stronger more confident in myself and wiser every day

closed minds cant understand what opened eyes may see

but opened eyes may see just how lil a closed mind may accet

i hope you open yoir mind..or yoir eyes..and see whats really important...i am happy being me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
joy
@joy
12 years ago
7 posts

wow thanks SE I love that I do appreciate that :)

BeauZay
@beauzay
12 years ago
92 posts

Soaring Eagle, when you write those speils... I love it. Its a big part of the reason I stick with this site.

Eric Andrikowich
@eric-andrikowich
12 years ago
38 posts

wow that was great this will help others out including me to help get my mother to understand that dreads arent just a hair style

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form