Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

9 month update and info needed :)

Sarah Curran
@sarah-curran
12 years ago
10 posts

so dreads are 9months young.they are starting to loop,one thing i noticed is some of my dreads are feeling very thin at the root!!! i have alot of loose hairs.I am just wondering if the thinness is ok as i dont know how i should go about maintaining them! the ones at the back of my head are varied in size going from thick to string like thinness.I haven't really done any kind of maintenance to them other than bs wash every so often and a soapy root wash.

updated by @sarah-curran: 01/13/15 09:41:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

feel thin or are thin
your thickest dread can feel thin at the roots cause the roots are hair ..just hair not compaced so whebn u pinch the roots the fingertips meat with no mot=re then a hair or 2's thickness between them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I was about to say what Eagle just wrote.

I had a lock that I could swear was beginning to thin out at the root. I was so worried about it that I babied it for months. Eventually it grew out more and I realized that it was fine. Just because it feels thin does mean itisthin.

The hair at your roots is still growing out like normal hair. It grows in individual strands. And younger locks have more straight hair at the roots. So if you pinch it, it feels thinner and weaker than it really is. When it matures, that 2 inches of straight hair shrinks to 1/4 - 1 inch. you will be able to feel how much stronger it really is.

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
I really think this thread should stick around. I'm pretty sure almost all new dreadheads have this fear. Subconsciously I'm always squeezing my roots together and it gives me anxiety that it is not as thick as the actual dread. Common sense says it won't be, but, when you start to fall in love with your hair lol, you worry about lots of silly stuff.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I have 1 that is much wider than it is long. It does grow out a bit flatter than others, but it's not noticeable to anyone else unless I pull it out and show them. Don't worry about ones that feel strange at the roots. If it starts to pull funny and hurt, we can help. But as long as it doesn't, don't worry about it yourself

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/don-t-worry-about-flat-locks

They will probably loosen up a bit when you change washing methods. If it really bothers you, get some jojoba oil and massage it into those sections of you roots. Then wash it out. That will probably help loosen them up and make them less hard. Pure aloe (straight from the plant) works well too. As a last resort you can use olive oil

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form