Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

R.Emmel: 1) introduction, 2) questions on starting, 3)concerns about dogma

Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
1)Hello hello, greetings. Here is my briefest introduction:My name is Ryan. I'm 24 years old, living in northern California. My principle interests are reading, writing, and Kendo.2)And here's the rest of my post:At the time I joined this site, I had no dreadlocks. I started on January 10th using the twist and rip method, and it's knotting up beautifully. I'm doing the work myself, so I started in the front, and have created two rows of infant dreads varying in width from just thinner than a pencil to about the size of a fine-point sharpee.One thing I'm noticing is that because I'm doing the knotting myself, the babies are pointing forward, sticking out stiff and comical, like giant eyelashes. I have faith that they will become pliant and stylish in time, but I'm hoping for some reassurance from your experience.3)I suppose this also counts as part of my introduction. Before beginning my journey, I found DreadheadHQ and educated myself using that as a resource. I found myself skeptical of the products and the tactics being used to sell them, but was still willing to give it a try: the step by step approach and the guarantee of success were attractive. I did not end up buying anything from them, mostly because my gorram phone bill was 10x what it was supposed to be (but I digress). I chanced upon this site while waiting for my funds to recover enough to justify dropping $50-$100 on hair care products that would help me turn my hair into wads. Lucky me, you probably think. I was spared an expensive failure and waxy heartbreak.Now I'm not here to defend "Johnny Clean" or his products. I don't have enough experience to say who is right or wrong, and I haven't tried his stuff. One thing that does concern me is the deep derision with which he is treated. I saw one post (I think it was you, soaringeagle) that said you hoped he would die...soon... I see other posts that would make Cleanites feel looked down upon. This kind of negativity is wholly unproductive, and I worry that any advice I receive here will be tainted by dogmatic beliefs regarding what is right and what is wrong, what is pure and what is corrupt.I want to discuss your views, and what I've gleaned of Clean's. You call him a liar--harsh words, fighting words--and treat him like a villain, but I don't think his intentions are malicious. Ambitious, yes. Greedy, perhaps. But I don't think he is intentionally ruining dreads for personal gain. Feedback, please? My initial post has become too long.
updated by @ryan-emmel: 02/14/15 10:15:56AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i doubt i ever said i wished hed die ..doesnt sound like me but yes the fact reamains he lies for proffitsand..if you even dare trying to say his stuffs crap the comments will never get postedthen he floods the web with so many sites of lies you cant find the truth so believe he must be the only sourse of dread infohe indeed does harm dreads..then he blames the user for "over using" a product they never should use to begin with..buy my wonderful products..but if they fuck u up its ypur fault for using them...thats scumbag marketing at its finestthe reality is dreads require no effort no products...and are better off that wayso anything you do or add to them takes you aWAY from whats best for themand whats he do?when 1 product causes a problem he releases another to fix it and cause anotherin no time your dreaDS are stiff sticky smelly moldy then you buy more to make em slimy and itch then more to harm em moresomething that comes from being patient and clean andr not spending a cent or time ends up costing hundreds and hundreds and hours and hours of work weekluyyhe plays on gulibuility people who rather buy then think about what theyre doing to themselves...if you think..wax dont belong in drewads that should have NO RESIDUEbut he expects you to not think..just listen to promices that make no senceand prays on youyr vanity..you'll look ugly if you dont....and yea most dreadheadhq dreadss have a lifespan of 3-4 years max..3/4 of our members are on 2nd sets after waxy messes had to be removed...at a cost..johny clean has run dreadheadhq for 10 years..hes on his 3rd or 4th set and already planning on waxing his NEXT setdreads should last from birth to death....not 3-4 years

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
I donwana be completely off subject here, but Ryan, you are a very well spoken individual. I actually read your post twice because I enjoyed how it read the first time. Your vocabulary is impeccable and flows well.Eh, that's all. Later man!
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
soaringeagle, I found the post I read when I was lurking. It's in topic "johny clean pisses me off" right after Lonnie Berg says, "He's goin down man, and he knows it. He's getting desperate, the truth is killing him." You replied, "not quick enough"...Now I see my error, and maybe you see my confusion. Your response was probably to "He's going down." However, the second sentence suggests that you think the truth is not killing him quickly enough. My mistake (I think).I have no interest in arguing about Clean or his methods. My concern is regarding the rampant, unapologetic hate toward the man. The negativity was a real turn-off for me as I joined dreadlockssite.com. As you can see, I did anyway. I'll take good advice where I can.I worry also that the predominant attitude toward "working on dreads" will make members of your community feel excluded. I understand that many people want natural dreadlocks, but to assert that only natural dreadlocks are real dreadlocks is really dismissive and discouraging for people whose philosophies differ. I, for example, need to appear groomed for various reasons. I don't need my hair to reflect my spiritual growth; I have other means of measuring that, and I may shave my hair and enjoy another monk's style if it might suit me better. My reason for dreading my hair is not an act of ecological living, but an attempt to enjoy all the possibilities of my growing body. It is an act of curiosity, an act of vanity, an act, perhaps, of flippant disregard for social expectations, and it is important that I feel and look good wearing my hair.Every dready's experience will be different, and every one's goals will vary. Yet I see you providing advice only following your own dread philosophy, strongly discouraging alternatives as damaging. You even suggested that sectioning hair is bad because the exposed scalp will burn. Bald heads are just as natural as dreadlocks!Now, I don't mean to be argumentative, and I hope I haven't put anybody on the defensive. I don't want to change anybody's philosophy. I just want to be able to ask "will my recently twist/ripped dreads stop being stiff and start acting like vines eventually?" without being told "you don't need to twist/rip."Also, thanks Alden. My parents will be thrilled that I went to college for *something*. ;-)
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
15 years ago
155 posts
I don't care to much for money, cause money can't buy you dreads.
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
well, technically money can buy dreads.... lol, tho I prefer to get my dreads via time, rather than thru the mail. lol
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
First, I do have to agree with Alden, I've read both posts multiple times just because I love the... how to put it... oh hell, I just loved it.Second, yes, there is a lot of hate and/or rampant dislike around the forum for Clean, however I let it slide like water from a duck's back. Hate will backlash back to those who spread it, so just let it be... that would be my advice. Though he has a whole ton of experience dreading, all of Soaring Eagle's advice (sadly, just like everyone's advice) must be taken with a grain of salt. Only you know your body, your hair, and your dreads. We can advise what has worked well with us, but please remember that what worked for us, might not work for you. Dreading is the ultimate 'listening to your body' type of experience. Your body will tell you what should and should not be done, as will your heart and subconscious. If something doesn't feel right, then stop, re-evaluate, and try again. Perhaps it won't feel 'right' until you have more experience with what feels 'wrong' it's really hard to say.Now, on to the whole twist and rip subject. While it's hard for me to say anything about you or know how your experience will turn out ahead of time, I can let you know a bit about my t&r journey. I'm into month 5 now, and things are still a bit...well meh. You might or might not be able to tell from the pictures. Anyhow, Best advice anyone ever gave me was to " set it and forget it". That being, just choose your path and walk it. After you twist and rip, forget that you even have hair (save for the few days a week that you need to wash it) and watch how quickly they form. The dreads in the back of my head that I was sooo worried about in the beginning are actually the best looking dreads on my head at the moment. So just relax, let the mistakes come, and let them pass...and most of all, ENJOY THE RIDE.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i never meant i wish hed die faster..loli meant that his lies need to be exposed faster so fewer people are harmed by them..as it is now..3/4 of all dreadies that come here had been harmed by dread kits an dread waxat least 1/2 having lost theyre 1st set due to that..months even years down the drain not to mention the money spent on harmful crap..and the issues not even about him..its about the lies spreadhe just happens to be the one spreading the lies the most and in the scummiest of ways..i have never spoken to the man...although i certainly would love to have a debate with him...ohhh that would be so fun :)but... i have had to debunk every one of his liesand its a constant thing, offline and on..its always a uphill battle too, 1/2 the ppl i talk to in person who are about to dread start out with..i'm getting dready to dread, id like some help, i bought the dread kit and wax i just need help with backcombing1/2 the time these are people who have to save theyre pennies just to buy the kit that then has to be thrown in the trash...the going down not soon enough is because the info ..the truth..has to be gotten out there and reaching people..before the harms done..not afterthousands of people are totaly heartbroken when they have to remove and restart theyre dreads after faling for the liesall i want to do is prevent that..i cut mine once and it was devastating..i dont want others to go through that justy to make mr clean rich..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
Faelwynn, thanks for the input. Also, your name is amazing.Also, sorry if I sound a little aggressive. I start typing a little differently at 3am.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
Why thank you! Also, don't sweat it. Not everyone can show their best at 3am (or accept what is someone's best) , which is why I think that personality will show it's self in quick bursts rather than all at once. Ryan Emmel said:
Faelwynn, thanks for the input. Also, your name is amazing.

Also, sorry if I sound a little aggressive. I start typing a little differently at 3am.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form