Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My experience with BS/ACV wash sensitivity

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

When I started dreading in August, I used the BS/ACV wash. This worked just fine with no issues up until about a month ago when the wash started burning the skin on my shoulders and back every time I washed my dreads. I would have itchy, red skin for hours. I tried varying the amount of BS from almost nothing to a lot, and it didn't make a difference. Then I noticed that my homemade deodorant, which was made with BS, was also burning my underarms and in some areas making them dark! I now use a homemade herbal deodorant... So I stopped using the BS/ACV wash. I want to share the recipe I use now in case anyone else is experiencing problems with the BS/ACV wash.

1 cup castile soap

1/4 cup of water

4 tsp ACV

1 tsp glycerin

and essential oils of your choice. use about 3 drops each.

I store that in a small bottle, and when I'm ready to wash my hair I get a peri bottle and dilute it 20% shampoo, 80% water. Spray on my scalp, wash, and rinse well. I do have hard water and this has not caused residue for me. Castile soap alone did cause residue, but this has not. and it doesn't burn.

updated by @justsomechick: 01/13/15 09:40:54PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

If the soap is ph balanced then there should be no need for the ACV. Now, I don't know that that is the case, but if it is then you are probably making your scalp more acidic than normal. I have heard this acidity can lead to an excess of oils being produced. But, as with most of the information on this site, there is no real science (that I have seen) to back it up. Just worth keeping in mind.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

I have no idea if castile soap is pH balanced. Not sure if it's too much acidity, so far I haven't noticed an increase in oil production. I'll have to look it up and see if castile soap is pH balanced.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

just tested the pH of the shampoo... it's 7.5

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

No need to add ACV then. Actually, how much ACV did you usually use in that part of the rinse? Maybe you used too little and the regular use of BS had the result of raising thealkalinityof your scalp..?

Austin Mann
@austin-mann
12 years ago
19 posts

i just recently started using the bs/acv, before i used dr. bronners. The first time i used it it burned my forehead and the inside of my stretched lobes. i changed my ratios to 1 1/2 cups bs to 2 quarts of water and it helped alot!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form