Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does all hair dread naturally?

Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

I've been growing my hair for months now ( I lost count of the days) but since the beginning I didn't comb my hair. My hair is growing but I see no sign of locking whatsoever. I know, i know that with patience all comes in due time but when I go on YouTube and see some of these people show off their dreads in just three months or so you can already see the transformation. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe my hair just takes a very long time to even begin to see locks. Anyways, I would love to hear how long it took before you started to see your dreads come to be.

updated by @samson: 01/13/15 09:40:49PM
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

Not all hair dreads, not all hair dreads equally. But conversely, all hair dreads differently.

I say not all hair dreads because there has been a member about a year ago that waited a whole year and nothing really happened. But that's not really a horror story - she just needed a started method so TnR'd and a year later she had beautiful dreads.

Technically, all hair dreads naturally. A very small percentage of people with soft hair just need very long length. That's the biggest factor - length, with hair texture as an obvious second.

Case in point: I had two periods when I was growing out my hair a couple years ago, where my hair didn't do a damn thing. Suddenly I hit a magic number of 7 inches, and it started tangling even with regular shampoo, when ordinarily it would be tangle free. But I backcombed & tnr'd it and cut it off a week later from a nervous breakdown... Thus I grew it out again and at 6-7 inches of hair I began the journey again. The areas with shorter length are, *gasp*, not surprisingly having a hard time. The areas with longer length are maturing very quickly. Guess it's a waiting game =) at least I'm that much closer to mature dreads... I'm almost at 2 months, and had grown my hair out for 10 months as of October... I'd say just keep waiting and when it gets tangly you're good to go. By 7 inches it should definitely be tangling easy, and with some people the magic number is 5, some 6, some even 8.

Good luck! It will happen eventually, trust me.

calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

I should add, with your hair texture it will probably happen sooner. Stick with it bro!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There are 1001 factors that go into how hair locks. Ixchel took about 8 months to see any progress. It took me about a year to see anything change.

Length and hair type are only 2 of the factors. So are what you wash with, how you wash, how you dry, how and what side you sleep on, etc...

Some people are really lucky and see locks form in a few weeks. A few even luckier ones see locks form in days. On average, it takes about a year to form mature locks. But there are those like Ixchel and I who took longer.

All hair does lock up naturally. Some just take longer.

What are your washing/drying routines like? Maybe we can help you tweak them to help move you along a bit faster

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

all haior dreads naturaly but length is an important factor so is texture and oiliness if its oily its not going to dreadeasy

often a couole months isnt enough a couple more probably will be..just be patient stop comparing yoir progress to anyone elses

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

I plan to go all the way with it Calipark, thanks for the wisdom. To answer Baba Fats; I wash my hair about every three or four days with Tea tree oil from Dr. Bronner's making sure that I dilute the liquid 12 to 1. I let my hair air dry after a light dabble with my towel. I sleep on my side and when I wake up i could feel all my hair platted down which will probably affect my dreads. I will keep you guys posted in my development and hopefully in months to come I'll be able to feel my first dread.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you are rubbing you head with the towel, that can slow the process down. Even lightly rubbing it can effect how long it takes. Try shaking out some of the water first, instead. Then, if you really need to, just pat your hat with a towel. You can hit it for a hot minute with a blow dryer on medium or cool setting.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form