Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what to do with the few that are falling apart?

Austin C
@austin-c
12 years ago
8 posts

So i'm fairly new to the dreading process and started my dreads through the backcombing method, they were done fairly tight so I expected a decent amount of loosening and it seems to be right on track with that, the only "issue" is that today after getting out of the shower I noticed that four or more of my baby locks in the back are almost completely undone and back to straight hair, so I gathered what I could and threw on a couple beads. I don't want to damage them further by re-backcombing and really do not feel like tnr them. If i just leave them alone will they dread up on their own even though it's straight hair? I was considering buying the "magic locking gel" but I don't have too much money being a college student so I would only want to buy it if it was actually going to make a difference.
any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

updated by @austin-c: 01/13/15 09:40:26PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there. Your backcombing will fall out before it dreads, that is the way it happens. They will redread on their own. You must be patient and not expect instant dreads, the wait will be worth it. Never redo backcombing, it will damage your hair, breaking them and causing a weak dread. Don't twist & rip either, just let it dread naturally now for healthy locks. Wash your hair 3 times a week to speed up the process. Need a hair wash recipe?, look under the dreaducation tab, then maintenance. And yes,beads will help your undone sections stay separated.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The locking gel is nice, but isn't necessary. Your hair will lock up just fine without it.

If you were to reback comb or TnR from this point, you'd be starting them from day on again. And when they come completelyunraveledagain, you'd be back asking the same question. It may seem like they just took a huge step backwards, but when you use a starter method like back combing and TnR, this is the progression of it. 1 step forward 2 step back.

Beads will definitely help. They act like little imitation knots. And some knots promote more knots.

Marq Mutant
@marq-mutant
12 years ago
16 posts
Hey Austin C I no where your coming from I TnR and the back of my head has completely came undone i'm 3months in and I bought the locking gel and while it is fantastic guess u really don't need it will help keep your sections clean and make your dreads smell awesome but all u really need is patients and love that what I've gathered from both Baba and S.E.
Austin C
@austin-c
12 years ago
8 posts

thank you all for responding,
it's definitely reassuring knowing that other people have been through the same thing, I knew it was gonna fall apart, but not completely so it came as a bit of a surprise to me, but it's good to know that it'll take care of itself in time.

I think i'm gonna skip the locking gel for now and keep beads only on two of the loose sections (they are the two that will eventually be used to tie them all back once they are long and mature) and ill let the rest do what they want.

thanks again guys your responses are much appreciated, ill leave it to time and patience from here on out.

Marq Mutant
@marq-mutant
12 years ago
16 posts
No prob and by the way I love the karma locking gel the smell alone is worth it
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form