Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock removal method

Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
So I'm creating this discussion because sometimes for whatever reason we have to remove our dreads. Also the internet doesn't really offer up a technique in which to do this without cutting or shaving or buying some ridiculously priced "dread removal conditioner". So while I do not have pictures of the removal process of my dreads I do have advice.It took a month to remove my dreads which were 1 1/2 years old, but that was because I'm lazy when it comes to my hair plus it gets tiring on your arms after awhile. I tried just about everything my mind and my friends had to offer. All the way from just slowly working on them with a flea comb to putting veggie oil in my hair and going at them with a brush. While just about everything helped I found that while patience is the key to getting dreads it is also the key to removing them.It will most likely take from 48 hours to 1 month to take dreads out depending on how old and how long they are. The younger they are the easier they are to get out. The most painful part of this whole process will be when you get to the base of your neck and at your temples. I also recommend having a few friends that love you help you out, but you can do this on your own it will just feel like it took forever and your arms will be very sore.First off there are a few things you will need to find:1. a flea comb (this allows you to get through the dread without breaking 60 million plastic combs because they aren't strong enough)2. an ultra strong conditioner (such as Mane and Tail conditioner or Paul Mitchell detangler you don't have to have conditioner but I do recommend it)3. Patience and a good reason for taking them outOk so you've rounded up everything you need to remove your dreads now what? Well first I'm going to offer up a tip I came up with but seemed to ignore. About a week before removing your dreads start to condition them every other day DO NOT WASH WITH RESIDUE FREE SHAMPOO FROM THIS POINT ON THIS WILL ONLY KNOT THEM UP MORE. This should allow your dreads to start to loosen up to make removal go faster.Dreads are just layers of knots stacked one on the other this is why you need the flea comb. With the flea comb you can easily separate the layers and get to the knots to get them out. The best place to start is in the front(because they are less knotty than the back) and at the tip of your dread. It takes a little practice to get to a good pace. While doing this you may find it helps to have conditioner on the dread you are working on.The removal process:1. take the first dread you are going to work on get it wet and add some of your ultra strength conditioner2. starting at the tip insert the flea comb about 1/8th of an inch up from where the knots end and pull firmly but not enough to rip the hair the knots should pull away from the dread3. sometimes the knots will just come right out but other times they like to get stuck when this happens you can either pick at the knot with the flea comb or use your fingers to basically untie it.4. keep doing step 2 and 3 till you have removed a dread sometimes you will have to get your hair wet some more and add more conditioner.So by now you've reached the middle of a dread and noticed this substance in your hair that you can't quite describe all you know is its squishy and feels oily. This my friend is old dandruff nothing to worry about its just whats gotten stuck in your hair after not brushing for how ever long. I do believe this is what is removed by the deep cleanse. I never used the deep cleanse on my dreads because well I was lazy and didn't feel like mixing the stuff up. I also believe that the deep cleanse if ever used will make the removal process go faster because it seems as if most of the knots are also being held there by the old dandruff. You will have also noticed a lot of hair is coming out more than seems possible really. This is all the hair that you would of shed if you didn't have dreads so do not fret you are not going to go bald. Your hair will be damaged though at the ends because of the lack of trims to get the dead ends off and from the removal of the dreads. I had to have 4-5 inches taken off mine when all was said and done. On the other hand though I'm still left with hair that is longer than when I started dreading. My hair had grown an amazing 6 inches while in dreads. Your hair my also seem a little thinner because sometimes you get knots that just wont come out and you have to either cut them out or just rip the sucker out(I chose to rip the sucker out).You can also do steps 2 and 3 without getting your hair wet or the use of conditioner but I've found that the water and conditioner seem to help the dreads come out a little easier.While I do hope that no one will ever have to use this process because dreads should be excepted as a normal hair style we all know that for the most part they aren't and that sometimes you do have to remove your dreads for whatever reason. I hope this helps anyone who needs it. Please feel free to ask questions or suggest something to add to this process. Please also if you see any errors tell me because I'm being pulled out the down currently by my mother to go to town.***on a side note I found that if you are using a conditioner the mane and tail is the best deal because you will most likely have a lot left over after the removal and it only cost 4-6 dollars for a big ass bottle***the paul mitchell works amazing but it way expensive and only worth it if you can get it cheap or from a friend(that is how I came across mine)Peaceful Journeys-Mary Dockery-Pogue
updated by @dreadedsunflower: 02/14/15 02:27:57AM
Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
this was in proper paragraph form but apparently the website doesn't except thatok i fixed it just put a space between each paragraph lol
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
lolthats very helpful,I was talking a friend of mine last night about this, she was worried that id she started the dreads she knew she would eventually cut them off, but was worried about how short her hair would be.
Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
I really should post a couple pics of my hair after removal because i do have those :)i also take that it was fun to read?but yeah you dont have to cut them offI've removed two sets of dreads from my hair its really not that hard once you get into the swing of it.
Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
I took them out because I really need to find a job and in this little southern town people don't take to dreads too well if your wanting to working for them plus it was kinda cool to see how long it was. Yes I do have pictures of my hair now. Its been trimmed since i took them out so its not as long as it was. Thank you :) Charaxesdistanti said:
Why did you comb out? Any pictures of how you look now? Great information you provided too.
live.love.be.believe.
@livelovebebelieve
15 years ago
13 posts
My wife had to take hers out last year after about 6 months because of a job that eventually screwed her over so she really shouldn't have done it in the first place. But it took her about an hour per dread and she conditioned alot and would rub it in really well when she did. She would also put olive oil in the dread before starting to comb it out with a metal flea comb. it hurt at times and it did damage her hair pretty bad. but its fine now and once she gets out of school and into a carrer (if it allows) she wants to grow dreads again.
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
the way i removed my dreadlocks was i got scissors and cut them at the root and i combed the rest out
Marianas Trench
@marianas-trench
15 years ago
20 posts
I, being male, just shaved my head when I had to get rid of my dreads. Took about 2 minutes. Then I literally started growing my hair out again, knowing that by the time it would start dreading again, I'd be allowed to again. 1 year later I was starting dreads. Nov 20th was my dreadies' 1 year anniversary. So it's been 2 years since I shaved my head.The Ladies however aren't inclined to shave their heads (unless they want to be cold!) so this is a great guide. I have thought about taking out the current dreads because I'm just finishing my M.B.A. and need to find a decent job in this poor economy. I can always let my hair dread again in a few years when the job market is easier to penetrate. That and I used wax on these *MIFFED* so they are still kinda stiff :( --- Dewaxing only goes so far
Lord Panzer
@lord-panzer
15 years ago
12 posts
a friend og mine used muh of the same method, but started with a week where he carried a bottle of conditioner spray with him at all times, and just kept spraying his dreads and loosened them with his fingers and/or a pencil to get rid of the worst locks, then moved over to use a comb when the week was done.It worked out really well! with little damage to the hair, considdering that his dreads were three years old!
Skye Taylor
@skye-taylor
14 years ago
9 posts
do those dread lock removal kits work?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form