Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can bad sectioning correct itself?

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Okay so I started my dreads about 10 months ago, and did so by backcombing. Some of my sections seem very forced and unnatural, understandably so. I would love to just comb them out and start all over and go the neglect route, but combing them out at this point would be too much of a pain in the butt for me lol. Anyway, I was wondering if the sections can eventually correct themselves over time as old hairs fall out and new ones grow in? My hair grows in so many odd directions that I never shoulda forced sections, but I did. Also, would combing them out and starting fresh and neglect seem unreasonable at this point?
updated by @cristin-nessen: 01/13/15 09:39:09PM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Can you post a pic so we can see the sectioning?

I would say no to combing them out after 10 months, but that's just me. I combed a couple whole and quite a few partially out at about 4 months and that was a giant bitch to do. At 10 months there's no way I would consider it. For me that is.

If you're really truly unhappy with them, then comb away. Otherwise, leave it be and see what happens. Most likely it's not even noticeable to anyone but you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

somewhat it will self correct as new dreads fill in between

the existing sections may change a lil too but slower

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Thanks for the advice! It's not something that looks real noticeable, like to look at, it's more that I can tell that they're kinda forced in some places, and I'm afraid it'll slow the process, and it seems like some even want to split themselves. Plus I did some crochet way in the beginning, and it is recovered now, but the thought of all the broken hairs in there bother me for some reason lol. I know old hairs get trapped in anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference. But yeah, the combing out part just sounds horrible! I wish I could just snap my fingers and have all my hair combed!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Sorry SE, didn't see your reply. That's encouraging to know that! Maybe I'll just keep letting them do their thing!
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I think some of mine feel like they may eventually split. At the root of some of them half the hair kinda loops out to the other direction, kinda creating a gap between that and the other half of hair (if that makes sense lol). I'm hoping that's a sign that they will do their best to adjust themselves if necessary
Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
I'm starting to have similar too. Should dreads that wanna "y" shape just be left alone or is that not a stable dread?
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I'm wondering if it'll just dread together eventually at the "y", or if it'll need to be torn down the middle :sHopefully the first option! Lol
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Yes eventually the whole thing will grow together. I had several do that in the first couple months. Just this morning I actually tore a couple apart. After doing it, and thing about which dreads they were, I'm pretty sure they were a couple of the congoed ones. One of them was really cool, half way down it folded over on itself. Anyway, they were damp and incredibly easy to tear apart.
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
That's pretty cool! That's not nearly as scary as what I was picturing tearing them to be like lol
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form