dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

T&R Maintenance Questions

Jae Johnson
@jae-johnson
12 years ago
6 posts

Hi guys,

I started my dreads about two days ago. I used the triwst and rip method. And I have 31 of them. They are a nice length and I love how they look.

From what I've read, (& I've read alot) with loose hairs around the roots I should let them do their own thing.

But as they grow out how do I tighten, maintain the roots of my dreads?

Because I would like to have tight-ish free dreads. If that makes sense.

I just want to know what would be the best way, as my dreads grow, what is a good way to tighten them and make sure they are healthy.

I'm for all natural growth. <3

updated by @jae-johnson: 01/13/15 09:38:55PM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

letting them goa nd be free is the best thing that you can do for your locks. they will loosen but its necessary to lock correctly and healthily. only touch to seperate. wash 2-3 times a week, or every three days is good.

Jae Johnson
@jae-johnson
12 years ago
6 posts

Thank you for the advice! I'll just let em be.

Castaway Jesus said:

letting them goa nd be free is the best thing that you can do for your locks. they will loosen but its necessary to lock correctly and healthily. only touch to seperate. wash 2-3 times a week, or every three days is good.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Just leave em alone if u force the roots to tighten it causes traction alopecia and u go bald

the roots tighten themselves

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jae Johnson
@jae-johnson
12 years ago
6 posts

Awesome thanks. :) I'm glad I was told about this site. You guys are so helpful. Oh if you don't mind me asking, what about controlling frizz?

soaring eagle said:

Just leave em alone if u force the roots to tighten it causes traction alopecia and u go bald

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont bother

if u control frizzs u prolonge frizz and only you even notices it

step back from the miror..or better yet use a shadow instead the single hairs sickling ouit disapear when yoir not looking so closely

if you have a wedding or something aloee will control frizz for a few hours but conditions too

washing will increase frizzas they are clean as they get dirty frizz lessesnsBut why would u want dirty over frizzy?

the frizz gets less and les as they mature but never truly goes away

unless u do somethingincredin=bly damaging to get rid of it

some burn it off

others crochet wich breaks hairs and creates more

others use wax wich causes dread rot

its best to gnore and accept the fro=izz

Jae Johnson said:

Awesome thanks. :) I'm glad I was told about this site. You guys are so helpful. Oh if you don't mind me asking, what about controlling frizz?

soaring eagle said:

--
HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
People actually burn their frizz off?! I don't see how that could be a good idea for anyone. Ever.
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

Sleeping in a tam will help the roots stay tight. Or when you wash your hair rub the shampoo (if you use it) into your scalp like you're a little kid. Or... maybe you'll be like me and have issueswithyour dreads getting too close to the scalp on their own! I have to condition my rootsbecausei roll around so much in my sleep they get super matted and it hurts sometimes .

As far as the frizzies go: wearing a tam will help this too. Kind of like the hat hair you hated pre dread. aloe vera helps but I wouldn't recomend it every day since it's conditioning and it takes hella long.

The plus side (which I am sure you don't want to hear) is that these things work themselves out with time. I'm about a year and have very little frizz... at least compared to where i was at 2-6 months... Then I looked like I was from the 80s. Also your dreads will mature and most roots are about 1/4 to 1 inch from the scalp, which isn't very far at all.

Good luck, sister!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

did you? i thought yours were natural

just proves it really is the net best thing

Jesus Freed My Soul!! said:

I did twist and rip 2&1/2 years ago and just let them be. Let them do their thing. You'll be happy you did:)

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form