Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

homemade flax lock up gel

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
I have been interested in buying the lock up gel sold on this site but after reading the main ingredients I did I quick search on google and found out that I can make my own gel by boiling about 1/2cup whole golden flax with 2 cups water, straining and storing in the fridge! There are plenty of sites and videos with recipe info if your curious about trying this. I am going to pick up some flax today and give it a try!Anyone have first hand experience with homemade flax gel?Update:I have edited the title to this posting to better reflect the tone/topic being discussed. Read on to learn more about what flax gel is and its safety.
updated by @sarai: 02/14/15 06:24:20AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wellif its not done just right you will never get it out of your hair

you know the linoleum floor in yoir kitchen? linoleum is mde from flax seed oil

i dont rememveer the exact process she uses but it is a special process that makes it so special

so u dont even have to rince it off yoir hands

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
?? From the info I came across it seems to be a very gentle easy rinse substance that is pretty much fool proof to make. Everything that I read about it says it also doesn't cause build up or residue.Also, Boiling flax seed in water doesn't extract a concentrate of flax oil...which I agree would be hard to get out of your hair.Can this post be moved to maintenance or dread products please? :)
LionOfJudah
@lionofjudah
12 years ago
13 posts

I'm not myself very fond of experiments, especially with my locks, I hope to see a follow up that you've discovered something wonderful!?!?! haha, goodluck!

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Thanks. I'm also not fond of experiments either but after a little reading it seems pretty harmless and can't be much different than the lock up gel advertised here which is made of water flax seed and xanthan gum.I also just read that xanthan gum is an additive that thickens the consistency of the gel that is made by boiling the flax seed. Which further convinces me that boiling the flax seed in water to form a gel is how the lock up gel is made. As a side note this site( http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Flaxseed-Hair-Gel ) tells you all about it and as a side note it says that xanthan gum may be drying to your hair.I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't more information or at least interest in finding our more about this homemade Gel here on this site which is all about forming and maintaining dreads the natural and inexpensive way.
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

Haha I'm pretty interested. I've been coming back to this post all day to read the comments.

sarai said:

I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't more information or at least interest in finding our more about this homemade Gel here on this site which is all about forming and maintaining dreads the natural and inexpensive way.
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Lol. I dunno maybe it couldn't hurt to ask the makers of lock up. But then again they are selling a product so I doubt they would be willing to admit how they form their gel with flax seed. But as far as I can tell boiling is the only way to form a gel with flax seed.
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i'd be scared of screwing it up & messing up my locks lol. i have no experience in hair products & would just think i'm too much of a screwball to get it right haha. i am interested in hearing if you try it & how things turn out, i like to hear experiments & results. i saw this on tumblr just today (timing eh?) & thought i'd share, it may already have been seen tho http://knottysleeves.tumblr.com/post/34119200922/great-how-to-for-homemade-dreadlock-gel-i-did

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
12 years ago
59 posts
I have done this, but it was pre-dread. It is a very simple, natural gel. It also doubles as a great lube ;-)
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Lol I really do not believe you can mess up something like this the worse that can happen is your gel won't be thick enough or it will be so thick that its too putty like to strain. Thanks for sharing the link, I like what that person had to say and the video was very helpful.Once again after a bit more research about gel forming seeds...I'm more and more convinced that this is the base that the other lock up gels are made of and is perfectly safe for dreads to tame frizz
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form