Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what do I do with the ends & why wont they stay tight to my scalp?

shana dyke4life
@shana-dyke4life
12 years ago
5 posts

Hi guys so I just started my dreadsyesterday& Irealizedthat they are not staying tight to my scalp! Like a inch or so of hair that is the start, then my dread begins. I will post a pic to show you what I mean. Is it normal or am I doing it wrong? Like I have said I have never done this before & beside's the TON of research I have done I am just going by what I am learning. I am doing the "Twist & Rip"
method.... Also I am not sure of what to do with the ends. Do I just leave them alone. I am so sorry I have asked alot of question's but I am aperfectionist& I want to make sure I am doing it right.... Thanks in advance!!!! Peace <3 & Natty-Ness!!!!!!

updated by @shana-dyke4life: 02/14/15 06:24:20AM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
You want loose roots, you'll always have loose roots. They allow the sections to move around, tangling and knotting up. New dreads usually have 1-3 inches of loose hair. Mature usually about an inch. Don't do anything to tighten them up, just let them be loose.Wispy unknotted ends are wonderful. They allow water to drain easier from the hair, shortening drying time. You want that. Blunted ends hold the water in, keeping them wet inside for way too long, promoting an environment for mold mildew and funk. You don't want that at all.Since you did TnR, it's important that you know it's highly likely they will fall out. TnR is mainly a blueprint for sections, not creating actual dreads. It's ok that they fall out. Over the next several months they are going to loosen, tighten, knot, unknot, kink, loop, zigzag, frizz and shrink like crazy. It's all totally normal and to be expected.Congratutions on starting your journey!!
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Spot on, Mons.

Question though.. Being a perfectionist, did you go for perfect squared sections of the same size?

shana dyke4life
@shana-dyke4life
12 years ago
5 posts

I was going to I only have 2 done as of right now. But after reading a few things I am going to just do them how I feel. Is that a good way?

Adam Kelly said:

Spot on, Mons.

Question though.. Being a perfectionist, did you go for perfect squared sections of the same size?

shana dyke4life
@shana-dyke4life
12 years ago
5 posts

Thank you so much!!! I <3 that there is a website that is so helpful, with such helpful people..... Thank you agian!!!!

Mons said:

You want loose roots, you'll always have loose roots. They allow the sections to move around, tangling and knotting up. New dreads usually have 1-3 inches of loose hair. Mature usually about an inch. Don't do anything to tighten them up, just let them be loose.

Wispy unknotted ends are wonderful. They allow water to drain easier from the hair, shortening drying time. You want that. Blunted ends hold the water in, keeping them wet inside for way too long, promoting an environment for mold mildew and funk. You don't want that at all.

Since you did TnR, it's important that you know it's highly likely they will fall out. TnR is mainly a blueprint for sections, not creating actual dreads. It's ok that they fall out. Over the next several months they are going to loosen, tighten, knot, unknot, kink, loop, zigzag, frizz and shrink like crazy. It's all totally normal and to be expected.

Congratutions on starting your journey!!
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Just going by feel is good, yes. Just make sure the sections aren't too big, about 1 inch in size is perfect. You do want different sizes tho, it helps create body and volume, depth, texture. Take a look at one of Johnny Clean's youtube vids, all his dreads are completely uniform, it just doesn't look right. Some people may want that type of look, personally it's not for me. Being a perfectionist you may strive for that. That one is entirely up to you. Do remember tho, that starting out, the dreadlings are going to be thinner then the root/section base. As they mature they'll come to be about the size of the section.

I'm glad we're here to help people who are just starting out and have bazillions of questions!

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Some sizes big, some small. Big ones cause volume and small fill in the gaps. Your hair will come apart anyway and should form some new sections, but variance in size is always best. I'm going natural and the biggest section I have is less than 1 inch. So, there is no harm in doing many small ones. You can let them grow together (congo) at a later stage, if you feel it would be best.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just to add 1 inch is the biggest u will want so keep that in mi d for the largest dreads 1/2 is a good medou]ium

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lynne Cowley Jones
@lynne-cowley-jones
12 years ago
12 posts
It's so good to read all this advice thanks Shana for asking the questions being a dreads newbie too it's really helpful..... Cheers guys for all the info. I went for random sections too thought it may look natural that way. A little concerned that with the T&R method they may fall out arghhhh I hope not ;-) xx
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

Leave some loose hair to cover the scalp.. Otherwise it'll look funny and also it's also bad for the scalp if you're in the sun. Oh and people could see the oilyness or shedding skin. Loose hair in between will find their place anyway and by that time the roots will be loose enough to hide the scalp.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form