Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

No dreads yet, seeking help in Portland, OR

Cassandra Keys
@cassandra-keys
12 years ago
2 posts

Hello beautiful people. I am ready to start my adventure in dreading.

From reading the discussions, I see that a lot of you are very into letting dreads form naturally, but I am hoping to go with the twist + rip method. I currently manage a business and feel like the neglect method would not be appreciated by my boss and clients, and if I can avoid the Side Show Bob look of just back combing, I would like that. Yes, I understand no matter the method, I am going to look unusual for a very long time, but after the reading I have done and people I have talked to, twist & rip seems like a good choice for me. My hair hits just below my shoulders and is loosely curled. Its not super thick, but there is a lot of it.

*****My problem is, I feel bad asking my poor friends (who have no experience making dreads) to help me with this. Are there any others in PORTLAND, OREGON who would be willing to spend a day with me and have experience with the twist & rip method? Of course I would compensate you in food/drinks/awesome conversation, etc, etc. If I could get a small group of Portlanders people together for a dread-my-head party, that would be a dream come true.******

If not, can anyone refer me to a local salon that dreads? I found a handful online and have read yelp reviews, but there is a lot of mixed information online, and I would love to hear from anyone who can actually vouch for a stylist. Also, from the salon sites I have found, it looks like most do crochet work.

Thank you in advance, pretty people.

Cassandra

updated by @cassandra-keys: 01/13/15 09:37:57PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

never ever ever let a salon touch yoir dreads!

tnr is super easy to do yirrself 1 freind can helo do tryhe back

or u can even

theres a few men[nbers in pirtland that would help some arent on too often tho

star gryphoina in chat now shes in oregon somewhre

no matter what dont go to a saln

any salon

salons have been known to wax or interlock or crochet even wen u tell thenm u want no wax interlocking or crochet

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

From what I've seen a lot of people can manage TnR on their own. Sometimes it takes more than one session for someone to get their whole head though. If you can't find anyone to help you out, you and a friend could watch atutorialon youtube and take it from there.

I don't think any salon would just TnR your hair for you, and even if they would it would be awasteof money for something that's very easy to do at home. Salons are usually for a lot more of the highmaintenance/creating "dreads" kinda thing. They use special methods to sorta... create instant "dreads", very damaging.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u got great hair for goin natural tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
12 years ago
92 posts
I tnr'd my baby dreads by myself. It's not as physically demanding as backcombing so all you really need is time! Mine took 2.5 days-ish - about 100 dreads - so if if ya' got a free weekend coming up soon, make some free time and get to crackin'! :)
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
12 years ago
92 posts
Oh, and I would've totally liked to have helped you buuuuut I'm in Kansas! :/
Ahil Ganesan
@ahil-ganesan
12 years ago
53 posts
If you can't go natural twist and rip is the safest way to dread but I reckon natural is more rewarding. It's your hair doing what it wants rather than you telling it what to do. Lol I'd love to help you but I'm in Australia
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
12 years ago
92 posts
Oh, and I feel I should clarify what I typed so it doesn't spook you...When I say 2.5ish days, I mean like anywhere from one to a few hours a day spent solely starting dreads. I bet I didn't spend anywhere close to 12 hours total working on them. I also have very fine, thin, and straight hair though so Idk if that shortened my time or not.
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I live in Portland...but I have NO idea how to twist and rip or how to Back comb either...

So...I can't help you with that. Sorry...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form