Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Giant Nest'o'Hair

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

So I'm a little over a month into natural dreads, Sunday will be 5 weeks. At first my hair was all nice and neat, and developing this cute little dread-like knots everywhere. In fact in my last timeline update I was asking if that was normal, but I would NOT be asking that question now! Not long after I asked my hair decided to goo all crazy. The entire back of my head, around my ears, nape of the neck, is like a giant nest! I separate it a minimum of twice a day, doing my best to separate as close to my scalp as I can without actually creating any discomfort. It just seems like my hair is all stuck together there, even though below that is tidy-ish sections. I'm really NOT into mega dreads, and I'm sure if would just become a beaver tail if I didn't stop it somehow. From my scalp to anywhere from 3-6 inches away from my scalp is all nested, mostly together, though I can seem to break it into a few large sections of smaller sections. I watched Baba Fatts video about separating dreads, and saw how he says moving one will move others near the scalp, so I'm guessing it is normal?

Is the giant nest normal? Is there anything I can do to help it be less nestlike? I separate often, and put in beads and wraps to try to keep as many stray hairs tamed as I can. I'm not that concerned about stray hairs, or that every hair has a "home" but the giant nest is becoming a bit untameable and overly wild.

editing to add pictures:

This is the whole head of hair. Just so you can see it all, progress, etc.

Close up of a group of sections on the left side.

This is the top half of my hair pulled up, and a close up of the nest between the layers. You can see some wraps and beads I've used to try to keep sections together and prevent hairs being sucked into the nest.

This a close up of a group on the back right side. You can notice the webbing of sorts happening when I pull it apart, but before you reach the scalp.

Some sections separate easily right up to the scalp, some not so close. The whole nest thing is starting from right at the scalp, and going to about 4 inches from the scalp. From there down is sectioning just fine. So it is normal? do I need to do anything? Not do anything now but start doing something differently??

updated by @alicia-s: 02/14/15 05:51:36AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

are these hairs just connecting near the scalp?

or are they between the dreads an inch or more from the scalp

twice a day seems extremely excessive im not saying in some cases it isnt needed..nut u might be worrying bi[out it too much

trying to seperate too close tio the scalp

maybe?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

wow...you say that you are separating as far without feeling discomfort...does this mean you don't rip it as far as it is needed?

pics...

please?

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

the reason I say this...is cause I've had to keep at it before in a spot...it hurt....bad...but needed to be kept getting ripped...otherwise it woulda been working towards being a nest of sorts...

or at lease not in separate sections coming out from the hands

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts
I'm about to head out for some meetings, I'll try to get pictures posted when I get home this afternoon.
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

ok...thanks...

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

Sorry it took so long, but I finally edited it and added pictures

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

So...how often do you wash your hair? Do you have dry or greasy hair? also...what kind of water and shampoo?

I'm just running through my head different reasons it might be...I'm no expert like SE

I'll be honest...I've never known any one in my short time on the dread scene to have started with such LONG hair...it might have something to do with that...you have so much more hair that is being pulled in and together...then other people have to...

I know this site promotes clean hair...and so do I...but...it could also be that you are washing it TOO often...taking away too many of the natural oils that it needs ....

like I said...I'm just brain storming...

makes me wish my dready community actually used "technology" well...they do...but..they are off growing, harvesting, canning, drying, preserving...they aren't easily reachable...

Maybe the pictures will help SE when he gets to this post. :)

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

also...maybe you aren't letting them finish the knotting up they want to do....

hmmm

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

before separating is what I mean...

you said you are doing that a few times a day...so it could be a combo of washing it TOO much...and separating TOO much...and...

it just needs to be left to do a little of this before it can be tamed?

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form