Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread roots?

Lily-Nicole
@lily-nicole
12 years ago
20 posts

I know that you guys have been asked this like a million times but when will my roots dread? I have almost two inches. :o

any ideas?

updated by @lily-nicole: 01/13/15 09:36:02PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

In due time.

I know that that's not an exact measurement of time, but it'll have to do. Baby locks have between 1-3 inches of straight hair at the roots. They will lock up, though. When they are mature, it shrinks to about 1/4 - 1 inch of straight hair.

Locks go through 3 main stages. First they shrink a ton. This when much of the actually knotting is taking place. Then they go through a stage where they seem to no grow at all, but they don't shrink either. This is the stage you are looking for. That when the roots really start matting and knotting up. Then they grow like crazy.

I'd say around the 6th month (average), is when you see your roots really start to tighten

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

typically around 8 to 13 months in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lily-Nicole
@lily-nicole
12 years ago
20 posts

But I have had my dreads for more than a year, Do you mean sic=x months from now? I mean I know eventually they have to lock. Or else everyone with dreads would have a lot of regular hair and some dreaded tips.

DO I just leave it alone?

Baba Fats said:

In due time.

I know that that's not an exact measurement of time, but it'll have to do. Baby locks have between 1-3 inches of straight hair at the roots. They will lock up, though. When they are mature, it shrinks to about 1/4 - 1 inch of straight hair.

Locks go through 3 main stages. First they shrink a ton. This when much of the actually knotting is taking place. Then they go through a stage where they seem to no grow at all, but they don't shrink either. This is the stage you are looking for. That when the roots really start matting and knotting up. Then they grow like crazy.

I'd say around the 6th month (average), is when you see your roots really start to tighten

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

you just might have a slower pace. i'm at 8 months & forget about roots tightening i barely have any looping (so no shrinking yet either). eventually you will get there, they just may be on the longer end of the scale & need more time than others.

Lily-Nicole said:

But I have had my dreads for more than a year, Do you mean sic=x months from now? I mean I know eventually they have to lock. Or else everyone with dreads would have a lot of regular hair and some dreaded tips.

Baba Fats said:

In due time.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

if you don't use sea salt already consider doing it before a wash or adding it to your bs wash. it helps tighten so maybe that would assist your roots in doing what they want to do sooner.

Lily-Nicole
@lily-nicole
12 years ago
20 posts

Okay, cool. Thanks!

Ixchel said:

you just might have a slower pace. i'm at 8 months & forget about roots tightening i barely have any looping (so no shrinking yet either). eventually you will get there, they just may be on the longer end of the scale & need more time than others.

Lily-Nicole said:

Baba Fats said:

In due time.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
My locks are a year old and some of them have pretty long roots. Don't worry about it, it'll happen when your hair is ready for it, not when you're ready. One of these days you'll be feeling around for anything that needs separated and you'll realize your roots have shrunk.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea i did put the word typicaly there for a reason

the average dreads the rots tighten around that time but some take longer

and hw u treate em nay matter i mean if thet=y are otherwise mature and u condition them the roots may take longer

i used sea salt last night cause the last 3 weeks used too much jojoba

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lily-Nicole
@lily-nicole
12 years ago
20 posts

Okay, thanks you guys! I will do the sea salt on them. I had stopped using that, but will continue again. Thanks again!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form