Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Interlocked my dreads

Rasmus Patomella
@rasmus-patomella
12 years ago
3 posts

Yes im stupid and should have done some research, the lady at the salon interlocked my hair and now that i read online that my dreads will fall out im really worried .. I'm young, 15, so re-doing them wouldnt be an option we payed alot and my parents wouldnt be too happy :| If i just let them be can they still turn out nice ? this is my first time also. I'm swedish and i have straight hair

updated by @rasmus-patomella: 01/13/15 09:35:44PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

#1: How long ago were they interlocked? If recently (the past day or 2), and you can find where it was done and undo it, go ahead. If you can't find where it was done easily, don't. You'll do more harm trying to undo what was done. I interlocked 1 or 2 back in the day, and it doesn't kill your locks. It does weaken them a bit, but once won't make them fall out.

#2: What else was done when you started? If you paid money, they probably used wax or other products. Or even crocheted. If any wax was used, you need to get it out, right away. There's a great wax remover from dreadlockshampoo.com. Or Dawn dish soap will work fine. One session isn't enough. There's a great detailed description on how to get wax out in the dreaducation page.

#3: How much did you pay? Just out of curiosity. People have paid tens of thousands over the years for waxy locks that never locked up.

Rasmus Patomella
@rasmus-patomella
12 years ago
3 posts

#1: Well i know where it was, it's far away from where i live though because most places are 20~ hours away.

#2: She did use some wax, not alot though. She recommended the knotty boy wax.

#3: about 500$

How will weak locks affect their appearance ?

Also does this mean my locks can/will turn out nicely ?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, you need to get the wax out. First things first.

Wax will prevent locking at best. Wax does not and never will wash out in your normal soap and water. It's a hydrocarbon, and needs a detergent to clean it. Dish soaps are detergents. Dawn is just the best of them. Even better is the stuff from dreadlockshampoo.com

And for the first question, I didn't mean what place it was done at. Sorry. I mean can you tell where on the lock it went through. If you can see the place it was interlocked at, you may be able to undo it. But if it is too tangled and you can't see it easily, trying to undo it, will damage them more.

They will turn out fine if you don't do it again. They may have a twisted braided look for a while, but that will get covered up by hair. The weakness is still there, but it won't look bad to the observer. YOu may not even see it at first glance

Rasmus Patomella
@rasmus-patomella
12 years ago
3 posts

Oh, well i'm not really sure as i dont know what to look for .. right now most of my locks are upside down Y-shapes. And also when you say that i can do more damage i probably shouldn't, as im inexperienced.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the upside down y is the gap where the dread was fed through

when yiu look at your shoelaces yiu can tell which direxction the loop wa fed through the knot thats hat you want to look for the direction the dread goes through the gap and i=undo it have someone help you who can see whats going on better

the wax must comeout

also id call and request a refund ..and tell her wax and interlocking never should be used

as far as looks go they can have a pernenant crinkly look as well as holes

it doesnt matter so much about the crinkles but they will be weaj[ker then normal

as long as u let em be natural from here on they will be on[]k with weak tips,but weak doent mean broken nesacarily

in fact most likely they will be ol=k

its when its done over and over then the dreds are weak the roots thinnned the hair loss beghins it all adds up to lost dreads balding etc

so try tio d=feed em back through the y's and remove all traces of wax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts
I would definitely request a partial refund, but remember that the time the woman spent doing your locs deserves compensation! In the future remember your dreads are free and need no crazy products or maintanence. I don't know about everyone else, but I LOVE seeing young dreadies doing there thing-- post some pics!!!!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form