Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

moisturizing/conditioning dreadlocks

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i've noticed lately the my hair is quite dry and scratchy. i do the bs/acv wash and when it dries it feels fine but the next day it feels like straw. i read online that moisture from your hair can be absorbed by your pillow at night while you toss and turn. i really don't like how they feel. i've tried aloe and virgin coconut oil but the effects weren't long lasting. i'm considering doing a watered down rinse of conditioner. i have a sample that vicki sent me and she said that it won't build up but i have no idea what the ingredients are so i'm a bit hesitant. i know our hair needs to be dry to dread but i don't want it so dry that its damaged and results in breakage. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

ps - since i know it will be mentioned, yes i've tried the dreadlock shampoo bars. they do make my hair feel more conditioned but even with a water filter they leave a lot of build up in my hair so now i avoid them.

updated by @heather: 11/12/15 11:04:54AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

really i cant get them to leave buildup if i try..and i have tried..literaly rubbing it in so hard my dread carved a channel in the bar and left a thick soap coating on the dread but it rinsed right out in 2 seconds with ease

jojoba

jojoba and aloe

but probly jojoba is best

a lil in the acv will do the truick

u might also want to increae the acv and soak a lil longer since your closer to mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i've kind of been guessing on the amount of acv. i use 2 tbs.acv to 36 oz of water. i still feel that i need a bit more moisture than its offering.

i use jojoba on my skin but i'm so nervous to use it in my hair. what would be the best way to apply it?

do you happen to know the ingredients of vicki's conditioner?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its beer based but i found its too thick and creamy to use and doesnt water down easily the ingredients are onh the bucks site

id try the jojoba but very small ammoiunts to start till u figure out theright ratios

and acv on mature dreads should be equal to the bs..

so if u use 1./.2 cup try 1/4 cup acv and asjust friom there

--
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

should i apply the jojoba straight with my hands or add it to some water and spray it on?

soaring eagle said:

its beer based but i found its too thick and creamy to use and doesnt water down easily the ingredients are onh the bucks site

id try the jojoba but very small ammoiunts to start till u figure out theright ratios

and acv on mature dreads should be equal to the bs..

so if u use 1./.2 cup try 1/4 cup acv and asjust friom there

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i put a dropper full in a gallon pitcher along with any essential oils i want to use pour over my head wait a min then 1/2 rinse to spread it thru but not rinse it out really

but thats too much fior u for you id start with 5 then 10 drops adjust as u figure out how much u need

--
Kristina P
@kristina-p
11 years ago
14 posts

i have some conditioner that is in a spray bottle, i spray on my hands and wipe lightly on just the dreads. Only did it once in 5 months, but it helped

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i use unrefined shea butter for skincare and just wipe excess from after im done moisturizing my body on my dry locks.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

no more dry dreadies for me! i found that while i really love bs/acv washes it just wasn't agreeing with my hair and scalp anymore. i've switched to a select few shampoos that i alternate with and my new favorite the goddess bar by bucks county. i know i said that they left build up in my hair but a friend of mine was raving about this new scent so i had to try it. i also think vicki must have changed up the ingredients because i distinctly remember olive oil being the first ingredient and now its coconut oil which works much better for those of us with hard water. lots of suds and easy rinsing plus no more dry dreads! i still do a bs deep clean every once in a while just to be sure my shampoos aren't building up.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they shpuldnt build up under any circumstances whats odd is baba thought they did too but he was super hesitent to ue much ws super careful and barely used any soap and felt like they built up but when he used alot more didnt

i have used loads i mean i tried hard to make residue rubbing 1/2 a var in at 1 time and couldnt it all rinsed out very easily

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 11:42:12AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form