Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks in the work place

Jacinda Smith
@jacinda-smith
12 years ago
8 posts

So I'm looking for some advice...Currently I work in a medical billing office. I was hired with out my locks, but started them since I've been there. I've been lucky that they have been accepting, but I am now looking at applying for a few other better paying positions and I am concerned about interviewing with my baby locks the way they are :) I am fairly heavily tattooed but I have become great at hiding that (at least for the interview...then I break my employer into the tattoo's over time :) ) But people are so judgmental about dreads that I'm afraid I will be denied employment just based on that fact with out looking at my work history. I know this is a choice I've made and I would never go back, but if you have any suggestions about how to "professional" them up for interviews I'm open :)

updated by @jacinda-smith: 01/13/15 09:35:15PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you are growing them for any type of spiritual reasons, you are protected by the first amendment. No employer is allowed to not hire or fire you for them. That said, I don't know everything about Oregon's Laws. If it is am "At will" state, they don't have to give you a reason to not hire or fire you. It's up to you to prove that your locks were the reason. I live in Pa, and we are an At Will state.

You could always tie them back for the interview. When in a ponytail, it's usually hard to see they are locks from the front. Ad they look neat and orderly. If you don't want to tie them back, of if they aren't long enough yet, you can get a plain black tam. Tams are generally professional, at least if they aren't bright and colourful. Black ones look nice and hide everything. Plus women are usually expected to have some sort ofaccessorywith their outfits.

And if they question you about a religious motive, you are legally allowed to refuse answering them. Any questions about religious beliefs are strictly illegal to ask.

Plus, if you are qualified for the job, and have goodreferences, you will be fine.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just style em neatly and ndonrt even think about them limmiting your chances if you do it will be self fulfilling prophesy..

go in there with the confidencde that you are the best canditdate and u desseeve the job in fact turn the u=interview around and interview the interviewer about job expectations pay etc like your sure you already got the job..

remember its illegal for them to deny you the job based on dreads so your dreads shouldbt cross your mind at all

if they dare mention them..look at them confused and simply ask "if someone came in wearring a yamika would you dare to request they not wear it to work?"

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jacinda Smith
@jacinda-smith
12 years ago
8 posts

thanks so much both of you :) I feel a lot better :) My dreads are so important to me and people just need to understand that :)
soaring eagle said:

just style em neatly and ndonrt even think about them limmiting your chances if you do it will be self fulfilling prophesy..

go in there with the confidencde that you are the best canditdate and u desseeve the job in fact turn the u=interview around and interview the interviewer about job expectations pay etc like your sure you already got the job..

remember its illegal for them to deny you the job based on dreads so your dreads shouldbt cross your mind at all

if they dare mention them..look at them confused and simply ask "if someone came in wearring a yamika would you dare to request they not wear it to work?"

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form