Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Lockin' up shampoo fade/strip hair color?

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

I know baking soda does I really want to dye but I hate to stop using baking soda I love it sa good! But I was wondering if anyone knew if the lockin up shampoo effected hair dye? If so, are there any on this site that doesn't effect dye?

updated by @alive-she-cried: 01/13/15 09:34:07PM
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
I just read the ingredients on the lockin up shampoo. Nothing in there will fade your color like bs, but the worst offender to stripping hair color is water. It gets soaked up by the hair and when it dries it leeches the color out. So no matter what you use it's gonna fade. But the reason bs fades it faster is it opens up the cuticle, lettin in more water. That's why it's crucial to use the acv rinse, cause it closes the cuticle.
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

my hair faded from both the dreadlockshampoo & the bs. sunlight probably affected it too. i think no matter what, color will fade.

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

thanks guys! and @Ixchel I knwo it sucks it fades so easily but i've actually read of people specifically using baking soda to strip hair color

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yeah i tried to strip my color & it wasn't fading any faster than normal washing lol so whatever i gave up & if it strips it does, if not meh whatever i'm not putting anymore effort into it.

have you already colored? maybe you could use a more resistant dye or something? last time my henna'd hair needed to be cut off because it wouldn't fade & it's kinda a pain to try to bleach out or dye over, this time i used indigo too so i thought there may have been more staying power but it seemsoppositeactually, probably because the shampooing switch

Alive She Cried said:

thanks guys! and @Ixchel I knwo it sucks it fades so easily but i've actually read of people specifically using baking soda to strip hair color

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

no i haven't dyed it yet but i'm going for more bright colors. i'm afraid ofhenna's power, as well haha.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Brighter colors tend to fade faster. For instance, greens are the smallest color molecule therefore it slips from the hair cuticle easier and will fade faster than reds. Reds fade pretty fast but are really hard to remove all of the way. Also, in order to get true to tone bright colors, a lot of people with darker hair have to pre-lighten with bleach and bleach will sometimes blow out the hair cuticles making it harder for dyes to stay in place. If this is the case then it's good to get a nice porosity filler on the hair prior to coloring to help fill in the gaps in the hair's cuticle.

BlasphemyBlack
@blasphemyblack
12 years ago
35 posts

i will soon be ble to let you know!!! i have vivid purple in my fringe (over bleach) and just got my first bottle of lockin up shompoo today. when i wash it end of the week i will let you know how at least one wash affects colour!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form