Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Separation and beads

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

Today is day 3, and I have a lot of pieces starting to come together. They are not necessarily dreads yet at all, but they are chunks of hair that are starting to stick together if that makes sense. I had a few enormous chunks that if left alone would probably form huge dreads way too thick that would risk mold... so i separated those large pieces. Should I put some beads on the separated pieces and other chunks that I have to prevent them from coming together? Thanks!

updated by @justsomechick: 01/13/15 09:33:58PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Beads act like little knots sometimes and can help the process along, as well as keep them separated. They also look super cool and cute. But they aren't needed. If you want to add some colour, go for it. But even with beads, you'll have to separate once in a while. So really, it's personalpreference

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

awesome thanks! i'll be going to the beach today, yay saltwater! i'll pick some beads up after.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

cool. But make sure to wash your hair after you get out of the ocean. The salt water is good for your locks, but leaving it in too long will dry out your hair too much and your scalp. It'll make you itch like crazy

August West2
@august-west2
12 years ago
10 posts

I use beads to keep unruly sections from taking over and it helps a lot. I've got 3 dreads that i almost have to leave a bead on them all the time to keep them from swallowing other dreads or newly forming dreads. Unruly little guys. The beads should also help sections dread up faster i know they help with mine.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts
Thanks everyone! i have another question lol. can i put beads on hairs that havent sectioned themselves yet? I guess that would be creating my own sections. Or would that be a bad idea?
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

you can, they may stay in those sections or split off into different ones, guess it would depend on if they want to be there & how knotted you let them get before taking the bead off. my sections werefinicky& would form, split & form again in different spots for a little bit before they settled in where they wanted to be.

JustSomeChick said:

Thanks everyone! i have another question lol. can i put beads on hairs that havent sectioned themselves yet? I guess that would be creating my own sections. Or would that be a bad idea?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i did in the back when i started

if they stay in they stay in if not ..hopefully u wont lose em

if the holes lil thinner at 1 end then the other so its tapered and u have the thin part towards the tip it might stay lil better

JustSomeChick said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
August West2
@august-west2
12 years ago
10 posts

I tried putting beads on hair that had not sectioned yet and they kept falling out and not holding. To be honest i felt like it set me back some because i wasn't able to let those hairs go where they naturally wanted and section on their own. When i finally let the those babies section where they wanted i had better results.

JustSomeChick said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form