Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My greatest decision in life :)

Daydreamer
@daydreamer
12 years ago
47 posts

So I'm sitting here sipping on my coffee and chiefin' on a ciggarette reminiscing on the times before I started my dreads.. and you know what? I don't miss it at all. I actually wish I would've started them before but I hadn't collected all the knowledge I needed about them just yet. It actually took me about 2 or 3 years before I was certain I wanted them and even still I did more research. Of course with all the research I fell into the trap of knottyboy and dreadheadhq BUT thankfully I found this site and SE before I chose to take that route. I decided to use the backcombing method. No wax! I had a friend help me with them and it actually took 2 separate days to do them. but all in all around 10-11 hours.

My only issue was too much palm rolling and I eventually gave up on that as well. I saw no need. I was one of crazies who expected and wanted 'perfect' dreads until I came to the realization that there is no such thing. All dreads are 'one of a kind'. Beautifully imperfect.

I got alot of negative feedback at first. From family & friends. All sorts of rude comments. "You need a brush?" "What the heck did you do to your beautiful hair?! You've ruined it!" but I stuck with it cause ultimately it was my decision and I cared not what others thought of me. I've never just let go of something and let it take its own course. I did a lot to maintain my hair before I started my journey and I finally caught sight that it was unimportant. Now after the first 2 months, they really started to do their own thing. I woke one morning to find they had shrunk up about 4 or five inches.

(I thought I was getting negative feedback before, pshhh) it really picked back up again. I had all new wiggles and loops that weren't there before. I thought I had done something wrong at first. So I asked my fellow dreadheads allll kinds of questions and found that it was very normal. I finally grew to love them. I loved watching each one change. As if they each had their own personality. & now I couldn't be happier to have chosen to put down my brush. I'm now 4 months into my journey and have realized my dreads aren't the only ones growing and changing but I am too. I wouldn't give them up for the world. <3

updated by @daydreamer: 08/19/21 09:58:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

wow i loved this abnd they sure look beautiful on you the more negative comments u get the stronger u become and the more sure of yourself

and i bet u never felt more beautiful in yoir life too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Daydreamer
@daydreamer
12 years ago
47 posts

Thank so much! & you're right, I haven't felt more beautiful. :)

HippyFish
@hippyfish
12 years ago
76 posts

I know what you mean... the strange looks an snickers are always fun no matter where you are, but there is something empowering about it... we are free from the confines of conforming and fitting into a neat little box and I think sometimes it makes others envious.

Daydreamer
@daydreamer
12 years ago
47 posts

I can agree with you on that Hippiefish. I love who I am even if that means not being like others around me. I wish everyone would give it a try.

Becsley Q Penguinface
@becsley-q-penguinface
12 years ago
36 posts

This is awesome and your dreads look freaking fantastic!

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I do believe this post is a reflection of what a lot of people on this site feel about their experience. Thank you for sharing. :)

The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
I remeber when I met you a few months ago .I was so happy to see another dreadie around .and your dreads def looked like more then a couple months then .I am glad to see you are enjoying the journey.let the haters hate it is your head either way .
Daydreamer
@daydreamer
12 years ago
47 posts

Thanks for the positive words guys! Much love<3

Sarah Jeffers
@sarah-jeffers
12 years ago
2 posts

You and your dreads are absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to start mine here soon, I hope to have at least half the beauty you've got on your lovely head! :)

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form