Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting with dread beads

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

I'd like to add a few beads to my dreads, but they're still brand new. Can you used beads with new locks? If so, what kinds of beads are best to use? How do you put them in? Dos and Don'ts?

updated by @snick: 02/14/15 08:20:25AM
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Yes, you can! Beads actually help with the dreading process! I have wood beads in my hair and if they happen to be taken over by dreads and entangled all I gotta do is take pliers to them to break them. Wood beads are cheap to buy so ya can destroy them if need be without worrying to much about them!

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

Thanks! Where do you get your beads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

http://shops.dreadlockssite.com has dozens of members who make dread beads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Ya can also pick some up at craft stores, ebay or wherever

Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
I wouldn't do string wraps. Ther restrict movement of the hair and keep it from locking.
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I know plenty of people on here that do wraps and beads, even on their baby dreads. I honestly feel that beads are better because they move around and in turn don't really hinder the hair from dreading up. Wraps however, are tight and don't move. Your hair could end up being straight underneath them the day you cut them out whereas if it had been free moving it may have dreaded up.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
Beads wont stay in my sections yet so ive been using wraps. Use open wraps or only small sections of wrap & change them around every few days & give them plenty of wiggle room near the roots. A couple of my often wrapped sections are starting to rough up & get baby loops near the top, more progress than anywhere else for me. Most those starter loopies disappear but eventually one will stay, & once it does a bead should be able to stay put.

Hanna said:

I had a similar question, what about wrapping your dreads in string and whatnot, is it okay to do it with baby dreads?

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

So, they don't have to be special dread beads... any bead that will go on the dread will work?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they dont technicaly have to be beads anything with a hole that fits works..wedding rings bones antlers rocks sticks wingnuts..anything

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form