Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

If you have short hair...

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

... how long did it take before your hair started looking like dreads? I'm in this for the long haul, but I have to admit that this stage is not the most fun stage. It doesn't look like dreads at all!

updated by @snick: 01/13/15 09:33:20PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if it has to look like dreads your not being a dread its not about how thety look but how you live

be a dread live yoir life as a dread and soon enough your head will get the drift and dread

stop worrying bi=out how they look now..or in the future and just let it happen

to anser your question tho mine didnt take long..in the back anyway the top a few months longer

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Eric Andrikowich
@eric-andrikowich
12 years ago
38 posts

how long is a few months cause im gettin annoyed by my hair as well

soaring eagle said:

if it has to look like dreads your not being a dread its not about how thety look but how you live

be a dread live yoir life as a dread and soon enough your head will get the drift and dread

stop worrying bi=out how they look now..or in the future and just let it happen

to anser your question tho mine didnt take long..in the back anyway the top a few months longer

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

who knows your only getting annoyd cause youtr paying way too much attention to the time u-its taking

i njever pay attention to time so weeks months years really dont feel that different i assume it was months cause it didnt seem like long at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Learn to let go. For real. Letting go includes not caring about the speed of the progress, the loopiness or the lack of it, the loose hair, and so on.

I've been dreading for a year (and 2 days :D ), and mine STILL don't look like dreads.

I mean, they do, but there's so much loose hair covering the top of my head, you have to know they're there in order to notice them.

The point is... They will dread someday. They just need their own amount of time.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

My best advice is to completely forget the day you started. As much fun as it can be toannounceto others that your locks are a year old, it's just a day. I have no idea at all when I started. I know that I started them a little before I met my wife. That was over 5 years ago. So mine are somewhere between 5 and 6 years old. probably closer to 6, now. But your start date is nothing special.

Also, if you worry too much about the progress, your body reacts. Many people find that worrying actually makes their hair thin and fall out more often than when they are calm. So worrying can actually adversely affect your progress.

A few months to me is different than a few months to you. For me, it took about a year to see any real change. For Eagle, a few months may have only been 2-3. For you, it might be 4-5. Everyone'shair and process are slightly different. If you forget how old they are and just look at yourself as having locks now, instead of seeing yourself as "will have locks someday", The messy stage won't bother you as much.

Snick
@snick
12 years ago
28 posts

Okay, so a weird thing happened while I was reading these responses... it suddenly hit me that I can be free of my hair. Free to NOT worry about it. Free to NOT have to fix it every day. Free to NOT worry about what people think of it.

It's like I knew it, but didn't really accept it. I've been so paranoid about what people will think with it looking so scruffy and all the events I have to go to in the near future that I haven't really accepted the fact that it's MY hair and it defines ME. I can be a nervous ocd wreck about this whole thing, or I can let it go and just let my hair do what it wants on its own... in its own time.

It's kind of a scary step, but it's freeing. Thanks for reminding me that it's just hair and it will happen.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Freedom is change. And change is scary. Run with it. if you want to be free, you'll have to face your fear

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

I have short hair and it prolly strated to actually start forming dreads around 5-7mths for me and I'm about 10mths in on my natural journey but that's me. Some dread faster than others! Just be paitent and it'll happen!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form