dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tying back too tight?

ericb
@ericb
12 years ago
15 posts

Hey,

There was a period of time where I had to tie back my dreads (they were still pretty young and forming) pretty tight for long periods of time due to having to work shitty temp job while in between work. I think it may have caused some adverse affects, a lot of my dreads have this weird sort of pushback/loop thing going on near the roots and I was curious if it may have been because I had fastened them back to tightly in those early stages.

Thanks

updated by @ericb: 01/13/15 09:33:15PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sounds like it but why couldnt u pull em back loose

back is back wether tight or loose

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Well, I have those things too on a couple of 'em, but I don't wear my hair up that much at all. Maybe for an hour on really hot days, just to let the back of my neck and shoulders to get some air.

Are they just loopy near the roots, or are they actually going back?

I used to think mine looped that way because of the occasional headband or me putting them up, but since all of my hair pretty much wants to cover my face, instead of going toward the back of my head, I figured that can't be the reason.

I could be wrong, though.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

It could be from the tension of pulling them back (regardless of how tight) for extended periods of time or it could be your hairs growth patter being conflicted. Not everyone's hair comes out of the head at the same direction/angle with respect to the rest of the hair otherwise people wouldn't have cowlicks to contend with. No matter how subtle the difference it could be affecting the direction your dreads are going. Just wait a while and, as the hair actually starts to grow out at the roots, if it's from pulling them back, they will eventually grow and re-knot in the direction of the natural growth pattern. If you hair grows out this way then, you may have to just wait for them to get longer and heavier to lay straighter.

ericb
@ericb
12 years ago
15 posts

I only had it back so tight because I was kind of stupid and didn't think of it, i wear itback loser now (just one of those elastic hair ties, not doubled over.) I was just curious, could post some pics if needed.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form