Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My Dreads...

David Conway
@david-conway
12 years ago
4 posts

what up dreadheads!!! ive been naturally dreading for about 5 months now and im in for the long hall no matter what!!!! I've been washing my hair once a week (every monday) with Dr. Brooners Natural Soap... so far I've only been seeing separation and no real dreading taking place should i be concerned?

updated by @david-conway: 01/13/15 09:32:04PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no but how are u washing and drying and

do u have hard water bronners wont be god in hard water

u might want to try the baking soda soak awhile and wash 2-3 times a week

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
David Conway
@david-conway
12 years ago
4 posts

i really just squeeze the soap into my hair and it kinda sucks it all up then i rise for about 3 or 4 min make sure all the soaps out then dry my head with a towel... and i have no clue bout all the hard water stuff all i know is at my house we have well water

soaring eagle said:

no but how are u washing and drying and

do u have hard water bronners wont be god in hard water

u might want to try the baking soda soak awhile and wash 2-3 times a week

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

towel dryung will prevent dreads

you shouldnt be soaping the hair at all only your scalp

scrub the scalp and rinse thru the hair then air or sun dry

the baking soda soaks a no touch method so thats the best

bronners will leave u feeling sticky or oily in hard water and causes bad buildup

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Necia Stoll
@necia-stoll
12 years ago
33 posts
How do you know if you have hard water?
christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

I looked online on the website for our local water provider which allowed me to put my postcode in. But im sure if you checked for water quality on google for where you live it should show something. We have very hard water over here in Bath :( i still get a little residue from the BS wash but i find boiling water first really helps in dissolving the BS. only downside is you need to wait a while to cool or add a couple of cups of cold once most is dissolved

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Here's a simple basic test for hard/soft water. It's not 100% conclusive,but it'll give you an idea. Get your Dr. Bronners and wash your hands with it in the sink. When you rinse it off, and let your hands air dry, do they feel soft and smooth? Or do they feel bone dry and , well not rough, but not slippery at all?

Soft and smooth is a sign of hard water. The soap is not 100% washed off. Bone dry means it is not there any more and stripped away all of your natural oils

David Conway
@david-conway
12 years ago
4 posts

ok... so how do you dothe baking soda method?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

About 3 Tbls of BS to 1 liter of water. Mix it well so there are no more chunks left over. Pour it on. Let it soak for about 10 minutes. Then rinse it off really well. Then about 1 Tbls ACV to 1 liter of water. let it sit for about 5 seconds. Rinse well.

You can add oils to either or both washes if you want. I add about 30 drops, combined, of a mixture of peppermint, Teatree, and Rosemary. You could add sea salt to the BS part of the wash.

When your locks are more mature, you can let the ACV soak for no more than 5 minutes.

If there's any white film left over after you wash, you can make the BS a bit stronger. I've never had a problem with 3tbls, though. Some people need 1/2 a cup

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form