Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a few less than ideal dreads

derek3
@derek3
12 years ago
10 posts
hi, I'm derek and I started my dread journey a little more than a week ago.I did them all myself using the twist and rip method. however, there were 5 or so o couldn't reach. so I had one of my moms friends, who is a hair stylist, help out. well, we had a few beers that night and I think he got his mind stuck in a pattern. they turned out looking like braids and random knotty-Ness.will it mature and matte up like the others? will they look different? not that I care, randomness is what I was going for.just curious if this happened to anyone else. thanks
updated by @derek3: 01/13/15 09:31:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

yea they will be fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
derek3
@derek3
12 years ago
10 posts
great, thanks
Steff A Roo
@steff-a-roo
12 years ago
25 posts

Yeah, they'll be fine. Mine looked like a load of braids when I did mine myself 7 weeks ago. Now half of them have started looping up. I did a few of mine very tight though, through fear of them falling out and lack of knowledge or faith and those ones are only just starting to loosen up so I don't expect any loops for a couple weeks yet.

The dreading process is all about patience, I can't emphasise this enough. Just give it time and you will reap the benefits :)

derek3
@derek3
12 years ago
10 posts
Thanks a lot steff. I guess I didn't realize they loosen up to loop. Because a majority of mine are pretty tight. All have an inch of loose hair at the scalp which is essential for dreading and movement right?
Steff A Roo
@steff-a-roo
12 years ago
25 posts
Yes, any loose hair will dread up if left well alone. The only thing you'll need to do is wash it and separate if you notice any start tangling up together :)
derek3
@derek3
12 years ago
10 posts
I'll keep an eye on any tangling. However, I didn't plan on washing unless it just happens to get mud thrown in it. Haha. Is that bad? Hair washing isnt a necessity right?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Hair washing is a must.

Dirty hair doesn't lock. It gets oil and slick and resists knotting. If you want locks to form faster and healthier, you should be washing them 2-3 times a week. A dreadlock-friendly shampoo is one that leave no residue. "Anti-residue" does not mean non residue. Dr. Bronners works great in soft water. But it's doesn't rinse out well in hard water. The Baking soda/apple cider vinegar is amazing, but again, some have issues with it in hard water. (You could always just boil the water first and pour off the pure water, leaving the minerals behind). But the soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com are getting more and more popular here. They are designed to work in any water type

derek3
@derek3
12 years ago
10 posts
Thanks a lot baba, that make sense. My hair hasn't got oily yet. However I have bronners liquid. But I think I'm going to us baking soda at first. Hear good things. I definitely want to lock up so ill wash today. Haha, thanks again.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form