Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Too thin/many locs?

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

So I'm in between month 3 and 4 currently, did twist and rip and havent touched them since but to pull apart ones that were growing together. When I started I was advised to make them about 1 inch which gave me about 80 locs all together... Now I wanted them smaller but not this small. I was told they would eventually get to the size of the base since my hair is really straight they are about 1/8-1/2 the size of the base except where my hair is alot thicker. I've gotten a couple to congo the form fatter ones but still nervous I'm gonna end up with something I'm just gonna want to cut all off. I realize they are still new, I'm in no rush just dont know what to expect. Should I just not worry about it or...?

Attached a couple pictures

updated by @kevin4: 02/14/15 02:27:18AM
Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

you should NOT be worried :) your dreads are lookin great, 80 is a lot so they prob will be small from looking at your section size. about 20 to 30 will be bigger sized locks, 35 to 50 should be medium and any more than 50 should be smaller. but this is what i would do, wait until about 6 months when they will start getting the size of the root, if you still dont like the thickness then tie some together with string, or put a bead on em, that are right next to eachother and congo em up till you got maybe 60 or 50, they can get bigger no problem :) just let em congo if you dont like want the size to get bigger, but wait until theyve grown more first to see if you even want to change em at all.

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts
Alright ill give em a couple more months then go from there, sometimes I just need some reassurance from someone on herethe couple people I know who have dreads pretty much recommend everything people on here say not to do so I don't really listen to them
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres no such thing as too many or too thin

but you cant have 1 inch secr=tions and 80 dreds unles your heads twice the size of a normal head

1 inch sections is closer to 30 dreads

maybe 40 tops now y9ur dreads will certainly thicken up to theroot section sizes but let me tell ya i had over 200 at 1 ipoint i think (i couldnt count without getting lost) 1 dread was as thin as the letter l on your screen.. and that was 3 dreads congoed! the 3 together was 1 mm by 2 mm abpit..and still 4 feet long a d strong

other dread s were an inch

dread should be different sizes theres no set right number or right size

if u want a few thick dreads let a few congo..once mature not yet or u might end up with massive dreads

besides...who cares what size you have are u 1 of those silly boys that think only big breasts are worthwhile? do you think about chopping off whats in your pants cause its not big enough?

nobody judges you on your dread size

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts
No I totally agree with you I really don't care what others think of em but if I'm not happy with yow they are doin...Also the area of you hair is easily 80 square inches. Probly more... from front to back is about 15 inches, side to side is around 12-14 inches..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

doesnt sound right since ppl who do 1 inch sections tend to have 30 dreads about

--
Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts
I'm gonna go ahead and guess people who do that then tend to make them a little larger than an inch... 30 1 inch dreads would cover the top of your head and that's all.Take some measuring tape to someones head, I did. Also measured a good many of my bases when I first did my locs to make sureI do have 1 other question, I wear a bandana a lot do you think they have enough room to move around and form or should I let them down more?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

leave em down as much as u can if u wear 1 leave it looser

i have maybe 58 dreads now i dunni=o none are over an inch

and many are pencil sized so i think yoir estimations off some have as few as 15 dreads and those are at the most 2 inches usualy lil less

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

also if you think about it a unidread is roughly 6 to 8 inches across so roughly 24 square inches ti 36 whih is pretty much what i said about 30 some dreads at an inch each

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i also realized i know people with 13 locks by your math then their locks would be nearly 8 inches! but they arent they are iunder 2

my best freind has 13 locks

emily as well

they are only an inc h and 1/2 avbout

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form