Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to Maintain Toddler's Dreads

sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

My toddler's hair has been dreading naturally for 2 months now. He has loose & fine curly hair. His dreads have been forming from the bottom up, so the base is not dreaded but the hair has all naturally sectioned & is clinging together, except for around his face. My question is: How do I maintain his hair to keep it from becoming a few full dreads because he dislikes my fingers in his hair because he is so tender headed. He can't sit still for 15 mins at a time yet & he's a really light sleeper. Any suggestions.

He got the dreads when I had emergency surgery & his dad took care of him for 2 months. I figured hair was the last thing we should worry about and thought he looked beautiful with dreads anyway.

updated by @sara6: 02/14/15 07:20:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dreads only need washing and seperating now seperating can hurt if yiu do it it hurts less if he does it and its done when damp after washing

how old is he? if hes old enough to dress himelf and tie his shoes he should be old enoigh to be tought to seperate them himself

just show him how to do it and explain that if he doesnt do it enough it will hurt more if they do grow together

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

He just turned 2yrs old. He can't tie his shoes yet. I was thinking, can I cut the hair that has grown dreads together with scissors instead of tearing them apart? Or will that mess up what has already happened naturally?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its not a great idea u can if u do it very carefully but its nit recomended its too easy to cut into dreads or cut roots if u pull them apart when damp its easier the hairs break easier withoit hurting and if u do it often enough yoir only breaking a couple hairs at a tikme so no pain at all..unless u pull too hard thats why its best if he learns to do it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

OIC. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes after I wash his hair tomorrow.

Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

Sara I have nothing useful to add to this discussion, but wow your little boy is ADORABLE!!!! :)

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Maybe, after washing his hair, while he is distracted by toys in the tub, doing the separation there. I figure this is a good time because you are already in his hair, washing away.

My son also has a sensitive scalp and doesn't like me touching his head but at least he is 8 years old and can just deal with it :P

sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

Thanks for the suggestion Valerie - Yes I've been doing that...just very slow at getting him to trust that I won't hurt him cause combing his hair out used to hurt & when I was on bed rest they would try to comb it out after washing days in a row without :( This was the best solution for him.

sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

I told you I'd get back to you on our progress today...It went better than expected. I explained to him that we are letting his hair dread & that we wouldn't have to comb it anymore, just wash. He was more willing to let me get in his hair. Luckily separating his dreads wasn't as difficult as I thought, cause he has soft baby hair. Thanks again

soaring eagle said:

its not a great idea u can if u do it very carefully but its nit recomended its too easy to cut into dreads or cut roots if u pull them apart when damp its easier the hairs break easier withoit hurting and if u do it often enough yoir only breaking a couple hairs at a tikme so no pain at all..unless u pull too hard thats why its best if he learns to do it

sara6
@sara6
12 years ago
11 posts

Thank you for the compliment Jackie...Ah, yes, he is my little sky. :) & I'm so lucky to have 2 handsome boys, years apart but they look nearly identical at times. You can understand why I was stressing about his hair. It killed me to have him crying because combing his hair hurt, didn't want him to cry about separating it too! My 1st son had soft bouncy curls that didn't matte at all, but his hair mattes even after a nap so this is the best solution for him besides cutting it.

Jackie said:

Sara I have nothing useful to add to this discussion, but wow your little boy is ADORABLE!!!! :)

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form