Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby Dread Question!

Carolanne Millett
@carolanne-millett
12 years ago
2 posts

So, I had dreads about 5 months ago. I took them out because they looked a mess. I put tim back in yesterday with better sectioning nd now a have a maintenance question. Does twisting speed up the dreading process and help keep the dreads separated? Or should i just leave them? Because I really don't want them to mesh up into one or get tangled together. And also, how long should I wait before washing/ swimming in the ocean?

updated by @carolanne-millett: 01/13/15 09:30:53PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no need to wait at all to wash twisting is a bad ideaq instead use the popping method to seoerate all u want is to wash and szeperare

how did u put them in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Twisting speeds up balding/traction alopecia but not dreading. Just make sure to separate your dreads by pulling them apart when they tangle.Wash your hair today if you'd like. Or go swimming first and then wash your hair. Wash when your hair needs to be washed. Swim when you want to. Just make sure your dreads get to dry out each day.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly

twisting puts tension (traction) in the roots thbat makes the hair stop growing around the dreds the roots thin out and eventualy you get permenant balding

--
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Stay away from twisting, and get away from the image of perfection, as americans we get too hung up on perfection. Dreads will be perfect when they feel the need to, they cant be forced to, believe me i found that out on my own, because i too used to twist once a month until i realized it was doing more harm than good. Stay away from twisting and just let them be, n if theres wax on them get it out! The fact that you used the term "put them in" implies that wax was used. If thats the case, its the worse thing for your dreads. Let them be free in the wind, swim in the ocean, do what you want. Just make sure you wash them regularly and embrace the mess, because it takes a little while for it to reach maturity. Good luck!!!! One.

Carolanne Millett
@carolanne-millett
12 years ago
2 posts

I used the T&R method, my dreads are fine. I just get worried that they'll mesh together. But I'm definitely not looking for perfect dreads. I just was to look at least presentable for jobs and what not. What about swimming in swimming pools? is that bad, or is it jus the same as everything else? Im scared they'll loosen really bad even through they're in there pretty well.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

You shouldn't let your hair refrain you from having fun. You can definately swim, and they'll loosen up a little bit initially but they'll tighten back up later. The only piece of advice i'd give is after swimming in a pool i'd wash your hair asap, to get rid of all the chemicals like chlorine that can damage your hair. Its a little different in the ocean, in that case you just wanna rinse with water to get the salt off, and usually u can wait to actually wash it, but with swimming pools there's chemicals, so you wanna wash right away.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

more chlorine tips soak your dreads in fresh unchlorinated water 1st so les chlorines absorbed intoi the dreads

do not wash with baking soda after swimming in chlorine!

acv after chkorines good tho

--
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

look at that! i didn know that! good info to know man, thanks SE

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form