Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Before OR After?

Ariel Loveless
@ariel-loveless
12 years ago
11 posts

I would like to start dreading my hair in a few days. However my boyfriend says I should wait until I have a job first, I told him I'd think about it. I'm not sure if I really want to wait. I feel like if I dread my hair now and I go job hunting and I don't get hired or I do get hired it's because of my persona not my appearance. But say I don't get hired because I have dreads then it's whatever fuck them, why would I want to work with people like that? On the other side though if I choose to wait I may get a job faster then I could easily and sneakily but slowly begin dreading my hair one pair of strands at a time. Yeah I don't know.. what do you guys say about this? Should I begin before or after I get a job?

updated by @ariel-loveless: 01/13/15 09:30:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well dread now then when u find a job at least you know the boss is cool with dreads otherwise u wait 6 months gert thhe job start to dread lose the jov]=b and hotta find another

but really why go through all that why do u feel you need to have a boss at all someone who makes twice as much off your labor

instead be your own boss market yourself earn 100% of what your wirk i s worth and do what u enjoy doing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ariel Loveless
@ariel-loveless
12 years ago
11 posts

Awesome! Thanks =D
Ideally that is the goal, I'm still figuring what is that I'd enjoy doing plus I also need to learn the craft of all these different arts that interest me. I have much to learn and experience to gain before I can become my own boss.

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
12 years ago
46 posts

I take back what i said, if they don't wanna hire a dreadie, then yea, fuck em. You made the right decision :)

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

I agree with SE. I'm in the same boat right now. I am in between jobs and searching like crazy for a new one but I just started dreading regardless. I would like to think that if you make a good impression at an interview that even a close minded employer would look past appearances but sadly that is rarely the case. Just do your best to make a good impression and be yourself. If they like you enough you'll get in. Don't change who you are for them even though it's not easy to find a job. It's better to find a job you will be happy and accepted in because chances are you will stay with that company longer than one that you change yourself for. If you comb them out and then get a job and start dreading again you may get talked to about them because the general public has a negative view of dreads. All you can do is show them that people with dreads aren't all bad and hopefully over time they will be more accepted as a whole in our society. I am the type of person that actually brings up things like this at an interview. As long as you bring it up in a careful way a lot of the time you can get an idea of how the employer feels about them right then and there rather than wondering later if that was why you never got a call back. I have had just about every color of the rainbow in my hair and also have visible tattoos so I tend to ask if those things are going to be an issue and if they are, well I'll find something more for me. Best of luck!

Nimbostratus
@nimbostratus
11 years ago
30 posts

Oops! just realized this is an old forum. oh well. saying how i felt about it to you helped me confirm how i feel about it. It gets really discouraging looking for jobs when you are applying for positions with sometimes hundreds of other applicants. it's hard enough to get an interview let alone a call back especially when you don't look "normal". Anyways there are luckily some people who are tattooed and pierced and have colors in their hair and everything else (or are close to people that are) that have made it to management positions and actually dig it rather than shun it... Maybe ill find another employer like my last one who didn't care at all about those kinds of things. :)

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

I say wait, purely because if you start now and then apply, you will have young dreads which are nototriousforbeingnaughty. you could have the most fuzzy misshapen clumps one day when you have an interview, and well behaved locs the next- i think either wait until you have a job to start, or wait until your dreads are past the baby stage and are a little easier to make neat before you start applying. my dreads are so lovely and neat, and have never been an issue for me looking untidy for interviews- but those first few months were so crazy, i doubt i would have ever gotten a job with those moody fuzzballs lol. <3

edit: just realized this is hell old- haha much love anyway! what did you do? xx

Ariel Loveless
@ariel-loveless
11 years ago
11 posts

Thanks very much for the advice, doesn't matter that it was late. Anyway I ended up dreading, not waiting. I'm at 6 months right now.. however I still don't have a job well I did have one but it was bs and that's all I'm a say about it. I'm still on the search with no luck and it's really depressing. My options are very limited without a car and around where I live because majority of places around here are small businesses not needing any help and the places I think are promising just lead me on to nothing and waste my time. I even resorted to online jobs but that hasn't been going anywhere. I don't know what to do about this.. it's so frustrating. My next step is to take the train and look elsewhere, surely someone will hire me right?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

being nowhere where theres no jobs dont jhelp u might have to travel and find 1 then move closer to where the work is

othewise work from home

if u can make anything craft wise sell it and thats your job

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form