Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Knot Issues

Brennen Dooley
@brennen-dooley
12 years ago
5 posts

Hey, I'm starting dreads again. I like using rubber bands, at least in the beginning. After a few weeks, I felt around to see how they were doing, and noticed some didn't feel very knotted. For those ones, I undid them, backcombed them, and tied them up again.

But what concerned me was what I found in some knots. A couple had a white residue on them, and I don't know what it was. I saw it last time I had dreads on ones I had over-maitenenced.

Is there any advice on what it is or how to prevent it? I'm guessing I should just stop messing with my hair right?

updated by @brennen-dooley: 01/13/15 09:30:42PM
Danika Skalet
@danika-skalet
12 years ago
37 posts
Stop messing with them. The white stuff could be hair follicles from be pulled by the bands. Don't backcomb them or anything just wash (non residue wash or bs & avc) separate and let them be they'll lock up in time when theyre ready. Just enjoy the journey. Blessings
Brennen Dooley
@brennen-dooley
12 years ago
5 posts

No, I've seen pulled hair follicles, and it's not that; it was in a knot towards the tip, not the root. It's white stuff that covered the whole knot, but not lint. Thank you for the advice though!

Danika Skalet said:

Stop messing with them. The white stuff could be hair follicles from be pulled by the bands. Don't backcomb them or anything just wash (non residue wash or bs & avc) separate and let them be they'll lock up in time when theyre ready. Just enjoy the journey. Blessings
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yes u should not use rubber bands period take them out right away then stop rebackcombing stop messing with them

just keep em clean but absolutely get the rubber bands out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

itcould be melting rubber bands could be dr bronners too

--
Brennen Dooley
@brennen-dooley
12 years ago
5 posts

That makes sense. I thought dr bronners soap would be fine, i diluted it in its own little container, about 1/8 soap, 7/8 water.

I guess I should take out the rubber bands-which i just checked and they are actually silicon, im not sure if it makes a difference. I just feel more secure with the bands, like at least it's all divided. but it is probably damaging the dreads.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea bands are bad bad bad

bronners should be diluted 12 times more water then soap

and it wont work in hard water at all in hard water even diluting 40-1 will leave residue

--
Brennen Dooley
@brennen-dooley
12 years ago
5 posts

ohhh. i used tap water to mix, should i use distilled or rainwater instead?

Brennen Dooley
@brennen-dooley
12 years ago
5 posts

well, my rubber bands are all out, and my hair feels better already. i noticed some residue collected where the rubber bands were at the base, so i know never again!!!. i'll try to wash it out, but im worried about completely unraveling the dreads. i know loosening and tightening are a part of the process, and my hair is pretty short to dread.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form