Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ahoy~!

heather ▲
@heather
12 years ago
10 posts

Hello, there! I figured the best way to test the waters around here is in this bit of the forum, and also, this works as a great place to explain myself to all of you! My name is Heather and I like animals, salt and vinegar chips, shopping for home decor, greasy food, homemade anything, technology, my boyfriend, my xbox, beer, blankets, and WoW. I also like dreadlocks. However, dreadlocks are something I do not have.

As I said, I currently do not have dreadlocks. I have wanted dreads for a very, very long time but I've never had the courage to actually take the leap and dread my hair. The real push for me lately has been that I plan on taking a one-way trip to Europe in a few months and I would rather not have my hair as an issue. Considering that my hair si very thick and unruly, doing it while backpacking and bumming around Europe could pose a problem! Currently, my hair is a few inches below my shoulders and a vibrant red. My hair has been red for a very long time and I hope to keep it that way once I dread my hair. I have heard that hair colour is still usable on dreadlocks, but I have not yet decided if I would prefer henna or chemicalcolours (taking into consideration both my goal colour and the health of my locked hair).

I would love to hear some suggestions on colouring, caring for, and initially getting dreads! I'm excited to be a part of the community and from what I've seen, you all look like very nice people with beautiful hair! Much thanks.

updated by @heather: 01/13/15 09:30:13PM
Noble
@noble
12 years ago
13 posts

Very nice to meet you Heather!

I think i'll leave the Q's to more experienced members :) . I will say that natural method was my choice of action (or lack of) and i'm very satisfied with the results thus far. i soak my hair with baking soda and warm water for 10-15 minutes twice a week.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

naturals the way to go youdt dont pack a comb when u go and let it dread itself

the baking soda will slowly strip color so not a great option

henna is best for color tho colorings lil tricky so if u can let it go back to natural its best to

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
heather ▲
@heather
12 years ago
10 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome! Personally, I'd love to go natural (method and colour), so I think that's what I'll be aiming for.

I'm definitely going to dread naturally, andI think I'll use a bit of henna as a ween myself off of the red!

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hi Heather! When you get a moment check out the dreaducation pages here (link at top of page) because there is some comprehensive information about starting and maintaining locks with various methods.

As for me, I used the twist and rip method and then let them go off and do their own thing. I am loving it and tomorrow will be my 12 week mark.

In regards to color, Henna is best for the hair and there are some seriously awesome reds! If you do go with chemical color, aim for a liquid over a creme so it will be easier to wash out.

heather ▲
@heather
12 years ago
10 posts

Thanks much, Valerie!I'm thinking henna for now, but I may transition back to my natural hair colour.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form