Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Caucasian interlocked dreads

Leilani Ariana
@leilani-ariana
12 years ago
6 posts

I'm a caucasian and I just got interlocked dreads. I went to a lady who has been doing dreads for a while and she said backcombing would make my hair a lot shorter. She said interlocking would keep the length and is a lot better for hair. She has never worked with my hair type before so I'm a little worried because I've heard it only works on ethnic hair and I'm not ethnic. They are also alot skinnier than I wanted. I wanted about the size of a nickle and they are not even close. She said they will lock up and get a lot bigger in 6-12 months. Is this true? Any tips on how to maintain and get bigger interlocked dreads? Also, we paid for them and though I almost want to get a redo witha different method, I can't.I just need to work with what I have. Also, a less important question, are loose (not overgrown cuz they are brand new, but little peices that are flying around) are they normal with interlocked dreads too? Thanks

The picture is how small they are now

updated by @leilani-ariana: 01/13/15 09:30:06PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hi Leilani.

First off I recommend you read the dreaducation pages (5th link at the top of the page) for a LOT of reasons. It describes the different methods that are used to create locks as well as their pro's and some major con's.
Interlocking can cause weakened dreads with gaps in them, especially in Caucasian hair. It also causes tight roots which can cause scalp irritation and over time, traction alopecia (hair loss from tension.) If you want ACTUAL dreadlocks you will have to deal with the shrinkage issue because that is the hair tumbling back and forth and over and in and out of itself, locking into what eventually turns into a dreadlock. The loose hair that is experienced in baby locks (and even in mature locks!) will eventually get sucked into a dreadlock but it needs freedom of movement to do so. Also the roots need to be loose so that the hair can dread naturally as it grows. At first your roots will be really loose but over time they will start to shrink up to about a half inch of loose growth.

Please check out the member timelines so you have and idea of what others have done, what works and doesn't work, and the development of dreadlocks. If you really want them you need to know that it will be very messy before they become mature and this process takes a lot of patience.

Lock Peppa (which you say you use) is basically dirt that you are putting into your dreadlocks. None of the ingredients are beneficial to locking at all and I have read that it is hard to remove from locks.

I can't vouch for the shampoo you are using but I've heard some negative things in regards to it. Maybe someone else can describe it and explain.

Sorry to be a bummer and, honestly how you do your locks is ultimately up to you, however I thought I should let you know some facts about the interlocking. There are even some pictures and stories from other members in the recovery forums who have dealt with the negative effects of interlocking so, if anything go check those out and ask them some questions directly.

G'Luck.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

interlocking is 1 of the worse methods there is every poiunt that was interlocked will be weak it can be crinkly or even leave holes

she didnt know what she was talkimg about at all

if you are able to get a refund and start over you should but when interlocks are settled in they are very hard to get out so u maybe stuck

its hard top say if they will 6thicken how bitg are the areas of the roots the dreads are coming from?

and yea loose fly aways are normal in any dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

interlocking removes the elasticity in the hair/dread so if they are yanked the interlock points ar likely to snap instead of absorb shock

--
Leilani Ariana
@leilani-ariana
12 years ago
6 posts

Thank you for the information. I'll be honest, I'm terrified that they won't work out. I just want beautiful dreads! So I will definitely look at some of the recovery stories.

Valrie said:

Hi Leilani.

First off I recommend you read the dreaducation pages (5th link at the top of the page) for a LOT of reasons. It describes the different methods that are used to create locks as well as their pro's and some major con's.
Interlocking can cause weakened dreads with gaps in them, especially in Caucasian hair. It also causes tight roots which can cause scalp irritation and over time, traction alopecia (hair loss from tension.) If you want ACTUAL dreadlocks you will have to deal with the shrinkage issue because that is the hair tumbling back and forth and over and in and out of itself, locking into what eventually turns into a dreadlock. The loose hair that is experienced in baby locks (and even in mature locks!) will eventually get sucked into a dreadlock but it needs freedom of movement to do so. Also the roots need to be loose so that the hair can dread naturally as it grows. At first your roots will be really loose but over time they will start to shrink up to about a half inch of loose growth.

Please check out the member timelines so you have and idea of what others have done, what works and doesn't work, and the development of dreadlocks. If you really want them you need to know that it will be very messy before they become mature and this process takes a lot of patience.

Lock Peppa (which you say you use) is basically dirt that you are putting into your dreadlocks. None of the ingredients are beneficial to locking at all and I have read that it is hard to remove from locks.

I can't vouch for the shampoo you are using but I've heard some negative things in regards to it. Maybe someone else can describe it and explain.

Sorry to be a bummer and, honestly how you do your locks is ultimately up to you, however I thought I should let you know some facts about the interlocking. There are even some pictures and stories from other members in the recovery forums who have dealt with the negative effects of interlocking so, if anything go check those out and ask them some questions directly.

G'Luck.

Leilani Ariana
@leilani-ariana
12 years ago
6 posts

the sections that they are coming from are pretty big because I have such fine hair. they are about 1.5 inches. Do you know if they will eventually swell up to that size or are interlocked dreads different? Also, the lady didn't make my roots tight at all so is it possible I won't have the tightness problem? And will the roots eventually learn to lock themselves so i don't have to keep interlocking them every few months? Sorry for all the questions I'm just really worried haha

soaring eagle said:

interlocking is 1 of the worse methods there is every poiunt that was interlocked will be weak it can be crinkly or even leave holes

if you are able to get a refund and start over you should but when interlocks are settled in they are very hard to get out so u maybe stuck

its hard top say if they will 6thicken how bitg are the areas of the roots the dreads are coming from?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1.5 is huge they will be huge dreads

umm your hair would have dreaded itself if u did nothing at all

so ofcourse the roots will eventualy dread u never ever ever wab=nt to interlock again

Leilani Ariana said:

the sections that they are coming from are pretty big because I have such fine hair. they are about 1.5 inches. Do you know if they will eventually swell up to that size or are interlocked dreads different? Also, the lady didn't make my roots tight at all so is it possible I won't have the tightness problem? And will the roots eventually learn to lock themselves so i don't have to keep interlocking them every few months? Sorry for all the questions I'm just really worried haha

soaring eagle said:

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Leilani, your hair will start to lock up on it's own, it will just take time. To be perfectly honest, I did the TnR method and then let my hair go crazy on it's own. It's at 3 months the end of this week and it's kinking and looping up and starting to form fantastic future dreadlocks! My roots were loose up to 3 inches and then they started to tighten up as the actual locking started to happen. Some are as close to the scalp as 1/2 and inch now.

Eventually, as your dreadlocks mature, they will start to get as big as the partings they have. They start out thinner because they haven't had a chance to lock up and loop within but after they do, they really fill out. Your partings are pretty big.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form