Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey community

Danny Medina
@danny-medina
12 years ago
8 posts
Hello all, looking forward to getting my dreads going again. Been reading a few blogs and comments here and there and its pleasant to know what a great community this website has. A little about myself: i first had dreads in highschool back in 04 from neglect but had to cut them off because a hat wouldnt fit on my head (i played baseball). I would always grow my hair out every year with hopes of getting dreads naturally again. Well that wasnt working so I would cut my hair every year till about 08 when i made the worst decision in my life... I went with wax. Seemed like a giod but was very dissapointed with how ugly they looked and felt. Never going that route again. So a couple more years of cutting and growing ( my hair grows fast, about an inch a month) and now i find this great website with great info and great people and im very excited to get my dreads going again. I have very curly/nappy hair and have been thinking about doing the backcombing process to get goin but if anybody has any input for my hair type i would like to read your responses
updated by @danny-medina: 01/13/15 09:28:42PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Back combing is ok, but if you want to use a starter method, TnR is much gentler. Back combing tends to rip out s bunch of hairs and can hurt quite a bit. Plus, if done too close to the scalp, will be uncomfortable and can make them poke out at all sorts of angles. TnR is easier on your scalp and has roughly the same effect.

Neglect is the most healthy method. But it's not for everyone. I wish I used it, but didn't. At this point, my locks are old enough that I can't ever see myself cutting them off and starting over. So I'm stuck.

Have you checked out the dreaducation link up top?

No starter method creates locks. All any of them do is help define sections. So don't be afraid as they start to fall apart in the first few months. It's natural. Unlike neglect where pretty much all you see is forward progress, starter methods have a 1 step forward 2 steps back method of forming. Everyone who used one has gone through it. And they are all willing to share their stories and picture of where they are at. check some of the timelines out and see where you will be at in the future. It's a good way to gauge your progress

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well natural (neglect) is ofcourse best backcomb does a fair bit of harm especialy in more kinky textured hair
tnr is an option
but i would just go natural with your haur

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form