Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beads hindering process?

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

I'm just wondering... Is it possible to hinder the process by sticking beads into dreads?

I have a bunch of loopy ones, and would like to add beads to 'em (I had beads before, but they all fell off, and I was too lazy to put them back), but I wouldn't like to mess the process up, since it is already a slow one as it is.

The reason I'm not sure if I should bead or not is that I know hairs are supposed to move freely in order to dread, and I, for some reason, think the hairs would be motionless since the bead would hold them together in that one spot... Does this question even make sense?

Anyhow... I would appreciate the feedback.

I've waited 9 and a half months for some real progress, and I'm kinda overprotective at this point. :D

(And just to make it clear, I wouldn't stick a bead OVER the loops, since I love them, but under them, so they wouldn't connect with dreads in immediate vicinity, and get messed up by separating. And, ofc, to make them allcolorfuland stuff. :D )

updated by @rainbow-fortune: 01/13/15 09:26:55PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Beads are notnecessary, but can actually help your process because they are keeping your locks separated. They wont hinder the process at all unless they are too tight or put too close to the root. If you put a bead around the middle of the lock or closer to the tip, you will be amazed at how well that lock will come along compared to other without beads. They kind of act like a little knot that you tied in your hair to help the process along.

That being said... If you leave a bead in when they are still babies, you could run the risk of them getting so tangled in your lock that they'll never come out. IF you want to avoid this, just move the bead up and down your lock every few days. Make sure it still have room to move without falling out. Otherwise you would end you having a lump of mater hair below and above the bead and a really thin spot where to bead is covering. If you move it around, you won't have that problem

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

i wore beads for the first month. then i took em out. some fell out but, i really do think they slow the process. within the first month not really anything was happening to my dreads. a day after i took the beads out i noticed a BUNCH of changing.its your opinion really if you want to wear beads. but i feel the need not to. i really do feel in my mind it did slow the process since the hair wasnt moving much so i took em out. im not really here to argue over which is better but honestly whatever works for you.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Beads haven't slowed my hair down at all. If anything they've sped things up.

Any dread I put a bead on has gone crazy with loops and zig zags and all that jazz. A couple of them are completely locked on. I'm only four months in and the beads have only been in place for maybe 1-2 months.

It seems counter-intuitive but beads are apparently more beneficial than detrimental in regards to locking hair. You do want to make sure you move the beads around though so they don't get stuck or make thin spots though. And you may want to take them out for washing if they are quite long.

With that in mind, go nuts!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lets put it this way i had straight unknotyted hair i put some beads in at a gathering and in no time i had dreds back there..like a week maybe 2

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Thanks, guys. :D

I've beaded some of the loopy ones, and left some without beads, to see the difference in progress.

:)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form