Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Don't look!

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I am doing the all natural method and hear alot of advice that says to not look at your hair for a few months and you'll really notice the progress. I want to try this but I don't know how. What do some of you do to not look at your hair? Wear a tam? Cover up mirrors? Whats your advice? Thanks in advance.

updated by @james-turk: 02/14/15 02:38:52AM
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Don't wear a tam. Just cover up or get rid of your mirrors. Maybe keep a tiny little pocket mirror for emergencies. Like getting something in your eye or whatever.

Or, if you can't do that, just wear a tam when you are getting ready for work or in rooms where you can't cover the mirrors.

Just let the hair fly free so it can knot.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Yeah, I was kinda thinking about just wearin the tam when I brush my teeth and such. I don't look in the mirror a whole lot anyway, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

P.S. some people claim tams help,I take ityou disagree?

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I don't fully disagree. In my opinion hair should free to move, catch a breeze, bounce as you walk, etc. It seems to me the most logical way to make dreads. They have to live and grow with you. They can't do that all locked up in a tam!

Tams seems to be more likely to create a big congo if worn religiously. Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad. And tams are good, don't get me wrong. They serve an important role in protecting dreads. I just don't think that they play a very major role in actually forming dreads.

And really, you're going natural right?. Why use a tam to intervene in the process more than you have to? Sorry if I'm projecting more meaning onto your journey than is actually there but it just seems counter-intuitive to the general idea of natural dreadlocks

For myself my hair and the process it is going through is a bit of a statement. What good is a statement if no one can see it? My dreads are about me finding my self esteem, my courage to really be me. I'm not going to turn around and hide that underneath a tam. I don't even like tying up my hair for work. I never tie it up when I'm on my own time.

Ultimately, I think you should wear a tam whenever you feel the need to but you should be letting your hair free as much as possible. I'm sure you know how good a nice breeze feels when it blows through your hair. Why deny yourself that pleasure if you don't have to? :D

I did not mean to write an essay. I have a problem.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Nice reply! Thanks. I'm just curious really. Mostly I let them go free but like to wear one when I eat or just feel like keeping my hair out of my face. I'm interested in everyones opinion on everything, you made some very good points, I do prefer letting them go free and yes the wind is very nice, I love driving with the windows down, hope that's not slowing the process, but it feels awesome! Thanks again :)

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

You're welcome.

It's a good thing you like to hear opinions. I apparently reeeeally like to share mine!

And I think the general consensus is that wind is good "food" for dreads. :D

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Awesome, I thought it would be. The nickname for my property is windy acre so I should have plenty of "food"! :)

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I just didn't look in the mirrors. If you must look in mirrors, don't look at your hair, focus on your face or...whatever you're looking in the mirror for. But not the hair. Feels nice when you look at it after a long gap and you're like "whoa, my dreads look great," so it's a nice confidence boost, makes you realise you're on the right track rather than getting discouraged from looking day-to-day.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I can fully appreciate what everyone here has said, already. When I started growing my locks, I really just didn't want to look at them at all. So I took down every mirror that was hanging, and for those that were permanent, like in bathroomcabinets, I took a cloth and draped it over the glass. That way, no matter where I was in my house, I could not see my reflection. The only time I got to see what my hair looked like was in my little rear-view mirror in my car or other car window reflections. That way you don't get to stand there and stare at yourself for long periods of time, judging how you look andfidgetingof all of the little imperfections that you are likely to find when you look at yourself for long periods of time.

As for tams. They are great when you need to wear a hat, but you don't need to wear one all the time. I never wore a hat with straight hair, so never found itnecessaryto wear one with locks. I do have a few cool tams, just in case I want to, but it never really comes up.

Tams help form locks a little. but not any more or less than if you just let them hang free. What they do is confine your hair to one place and will eventually form into 1 big lock. When people where tams more often, they have to separate more and more often. If you really just want to be able to ignore your hair like I do, forget about the tam. They cause you to over-think your locks and their appearance

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Thanks so much for the replies, I really think it will help me a ton to stop checking my hair out all the time looking for progress. I will definatley try your advice (all of you),can't wait to see some progress!

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form