Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a probably common tnr question.

Niya Amity Haven
@niya-amity-haven
12 years ago
8 posts

so my dreads will be a month old monday. obviously i chose tnr.
i have two significantly smaller ones on the top layer of my hair (only maybe 1/4" thick) and they've given me no problems at all. there's about an inch of growth in the roots, no loose hair, and the knots have remained tight at the top for about an inch, followed by about two inches of slightly looser knots and an inch of loose hair at the tip.
but on the bottom, some have come completely unraveled, and have not shown any signs of redreading.
i know unraveling is a stage of all dreads, but is completely unraveling? could it be just because they're thicker? the one at the base of my neck even looks like i've been brushing it, when i haven't touched them outside of washing since i put them in. :/
i know i'm probably just being paranoid, and that if i leave it alone it'll eventually do its thing, i'm just wondering if i should be concerned.

updated by @niya-amity-haven: 01/13/15 09:26:29PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Not at all. In fact the bottom inch or so of your locks should be unraveled. That let them dry faster by letting water run right out of them. If they blunt up on their own, so be it, but it's not advised to force it to happen. Not that it sounds like you would. But you shouldn't want that bottom inch to blunt.

Don't worry about it. The looseness of the lock will tighten and it might blunt on it's own, but don't expect it to, and definitely don't want it to.

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

As the others have said, it's completely normal. It's even more likely to happen if your hair was in a healthy condition when you started your tnr journey. Most of mine have about 3 inches at the bottom that are undone, most people don't even notice it when they look at it. If it bothers you though, you can always throw a bead on it.

Niya Amity Haven
@niya-amity-haven
12 years ago
8 posts

i thought so, thanks!
i actually ended up redoing most of them anyway because i decided i wanted to experiment a little bit with them.
i personally don't like blunt tips, so i'm thankful for that inch of loose hair. :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

cool. I have a few locks that blunted on their own, but I really wish they hadn't. Between wanting super fat locks and them blunting, if I don't spend hours at a time outside when they are drying, they can be wet for ever

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form