dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Soap build-up at the root of my dreads?

Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

Hello everybody. i have a problem.
Yesterday, I noticed i had some grimy stuff at the root of some of my dreads. When i squeeze it, my fingers get kinda sticky and it makes the dread feel sorta like clay. Ew
So i tried the baking soda+acv rinse but it hasnt helped... And I can't get it out with just rinsing it with water and sorta rubbing it. Any tips?

I didn't use any of the oils that are in rinse, because I couldn't get them here..

Anyone who can help me out?

updated by @jakob-skogh: 02/14/15 04:16:15AM
Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

Oh, and I havn't used wax or anything.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I had the same problem with one of the soaps I was using. I have been using the BS ACV wash for about a month, now, and it is helping slowly. But if you really want to get it out fast, use some Dawn anti-residue dish soap. It is used specifically for this kind of thing. We recommend it to people as a method to get Wax out, so it should work just fine for soap residue

Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

Where can I find that dish soap?
Thanks a lot for the response.
But you're saying that the BS ACV-wash will help? My dreads are only 3 months old, so won't the BS ACV be a bit "too much" for my hair? How often should I do them both? Will the oils that are included in the recipe help?

Baba Fats said:

I had the same problem with one of the soaps I was using. I have been using the BS ACV wash for about a month, now, and it is helping slowly. But if you really want to get it out fast, use some Dawn anti-residue dish soap. It is used specifically for this kind of thing. We recommend it to people as a method to get Wax out, so it should work just fine for soap residue

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The BS/ACV is good for any age locks. Just use the right amount in the mixture, and you're set. You don't have to scrub your scalp with that wash, either. But while the BS is in your hair , squeeze the locks that have the residue like you have been doing. That'll help the process along a bit.

It hasn't gotten all of the residue out of my locks, yet, but it has gotten the majority out. It takes time.

And the dish soap should be at any grocery store. I forgot to check if you were in the States. If so, it's easy to find and a grocery store. if not, find yourself a dish soap that is anti-residue or tough on grease.

Fill a pot or bowl of water as warm as you can handle it with your hands submerged. Pour in a generous amount of soap. Dunk each lock in for a few minutes and work the soap in with your hands. Do this to each lock, and then wash them. You might have to do this a few times to get all the residue out, but it'll work. It's not wax, so you should be able to be sure you got it all out after a few of these washes

Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

I'm not in the US, I'm from Sweden.

I don't really like the idea of putting dish soap in my hair, tho.. And, as you said, I don't have wax in them, it's just soap residue.
So technically, just using the BS ACV-rinse liiiike once a week should get the gunk out? Or should I do it more often than that? I use about 0,8 dl baking soda (which is around 1 cup in American measurements, I believe) and just about 2 caps of ACV.
I thought i read somewhere that doing the ACV on young dreads too often isn't very good for them. Will just the baking soda-wash suffice?

Thanks so much for the help!

Baba Fats said:

The BS/ACV is good for any age locks. Just use the right amount in the mixture, and you're set. You don't have to scrub your scalp with that wash, either. But while the BS is in your hair , squeeze the locks that have the residue like you have been doing. That'll help the process along a bit.

It hasn't gotten all of the residue out of my locks, yet, but it has gotten the majority out. It takes time.

And the dish soap should be at any grocery store. I forgot to check if you were in the States. If so, it's easy to find and a grocery store. if not, find yourself a dish soap that is anti-residue or tough on grease.

Fill a pot or bowl of water as warm as you can handle it with your hands submerged. Pour in a generous amount of soap. Dunk each lock in for a few minutes and work the soap in with your hands. Do this to each lock, and then wash them. You might have to do this a few times to get all the residue out, but it'll work. It's not wax, so you should be able to be sure you got it all out after a few of these washes

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok lets backtrack what soaps are u using thats building up?

in most cass all u need is water..yea just water distilled or filterred or boiled

hard water causes some soaps to not rinse.. like bronners u filter or distill it to remove the mineralas that make it hard and .. now it will work

u can use nutragena or suave anti residue shampoos not dawn dish soap a 'clarifying" shampoo strips the hair of residues

it should be used only every so often

and.. finaly 1 cup of bs is alot how much water is that in?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

I meant 1/3 cup, the measurements get mixed up in my head since we have different systems. 0,8 dl is 1/3 cup. I used 1/3 cup for about 1,5 liters of water (have no idea how much that is in america, lol).
I'm using an all natural soap with only olive oil and bay leaf oil in it, it's a bar soap.

In Sweden, we have almost no hard water at all. I think the water in my town is somewhere in between hard and soft. But do you think that the BS wash will do the trick if I use it a couple of times? Also, how often should I wash with the BS and ACV when my dreads are as young as they are now? As I said, I tried them both today and my dreads feel great and soft, but I'm afraid that the dreads might unravel if I do it too much.

Thank you very much for the response!
soaring eagle said:

ok lets backtrack what soaps are u using thats building up?

in most cass all u need is water..yea just water distilled or filterred or boiled

hard water causes some soaps to not rinse.. like bronners u filter or distill it to remove the mineralas that make it hard and .. now it will work

u can use nutragena or suave anti residue shampoos not dawn dish soap a 'clarifying" shampoo strips the hair of residues

it should be used only every so often

and.. finaly 1 cup of bs is alot how much water is that in?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thats probly way too conditioning (the soap) i wouldnt use it no more u can use the bs/acv as often as u want every 2-3 days is great

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jakob Skogh
@jakob-skogh
12 years ago
13 posts

Okay, and you think that will get the residue away as well?

soaring eagle said:

thats probly way too conditioning (the soap) i wouldnt use it no more u can use the bs/acv as often as u want every 2-3 days is great

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form