Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introduction and first day questions

Robert Thompson
@robert-thompson
12 years ago
21 posts

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say hello and that I really appreciate this site. Just started my dreads yesterday with the twist and rip method. This is my second attempt at dreads, unfortunately my first attempt i actually let someone put wax in my hair, and not just dread wax it was beeswax =/. Now though I finally got it washed out and had one of my friends help me start my dreads yesterday. Even right now at this point they look better than the ones with wax, although after having a life of natural perfectly straight hair, starting dreads is very unusual for me. I'm having those typical new dread panics of "oh no my dreads feel loose", but this time I know a bit better and that they will go between loose and tight until they finally mature. Thank you all once again for this site, it helped me stop the mistake of my last dreads before it became too late. Keep up the good work =).

updated by @robert-thompson: 02/14/15 08:05:05AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Glad to hear it. Welcome.

I had my first set done at a salon and they used beeswax on me as well. I was also told to not wash my hair for 2 months. In my ignorance, I listened. After the 2 month mark I washed for the first time. I could never have been more horrified. My hair actual and literally melted off my scalp. I had to shave my head because it was so patchy and uneven. It never full recovered. To this day the hair on the right side of my head is a little thinner than the left side. You couldn't tell for looking at my locks now, but I can feel it once in a while. More babies form on my left than right because there is just more hair growing.

I'm glad you didn't get that far and end up with the same problem. In time your locks will thicken and tighten. It just takes time and patience, which it seems like you have. Keep it up. Maybe start a timeline or journal of how they are coming along. Good luck

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome but umm u said 1st day questions.. was there a question in that?

was the answer yes?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robert Thompson
@robert-thompson
12 years ago
21 posts

oh sorry i forgot to add the question in xD. im a bit scatterbrained in the mornings. i was going to ask if it was ok to post a timeline to help other new dreaders see what they will look like as they progress, and if so where i should post it at? i know a good few people around here who are interested in dreads but are not too sure about them and think they can only be done in a salon. not sure if anyone already has something like a timeline set up for dreads started with tnr or not.

i do try to have as much patience as i can especially with dreads, started the dreads up knowing that it would take a good deal of time for them to really start going along. ouch im really glad i didnt let them go that far, sounds like i managed to dodge a major bullet on that one. i really wish more people would end up seeing this that way maybe something could be done about situations like that and they could be avoided.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

when you start a discussion theres a dropdown menu with ..i think 38 categories? havent counted lately 1 is members journals and timelines

u can even put the pics in albulms then embed the albums slideshows into your to=imelines

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cliff Loc*head
@cliff-lochead
12 years ago
21 posts

Welcome aboard and happy journeys.

Robert Thompson
@robert-thompson
12 years ago
21 posts

ok cool, thank you. i shall most definitely keep up a timeline and recommend friends here =).

thank you, it should definitely be an interesting one.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah, we love to see new and old members time lines. I'm working on getting pics from my wax days up so people could see how awful they looked

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Baba Fats, that'd be a great thing to do, it'd definitely show people how damaging wax can be. Well, people who aren't so stubborn anyway.

And welcome :) glad you were able to start again before any damage was done, enjoy the dreading.

Robert Thompson
@robert-thompson
12 years ago
21 posts

i think i have a few of mine when wax was in them, ill start getting those together as a start to mine as well.

thank you =) its only been my first day so far with my tnr dreads and so far some people around here seem to dislike them a lot, while plenty of others see that im starting out new dreads and have actually given me quite a few compliments on them. i think this is going to be a rather good experience for me, and hopefully others as well.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form