Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

lice and fleas on dreads

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
So I work at a job that entails dealing with the mass public as well as doing heating work in basements and cellars with questionable cleanliness. Some of my coworkers have caught lice and/or been flea 'd. Thank God I haven't yet, but it seems inevitable. If and when this happens, what would be the proper course of action? Any pointers would be great.
updated by @supa-dread: 02/14/15 03:51:40AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

teatree will prevent lice

fleas will not infest humans they will bite you for a quick snack but will not live on you

lice if you get them take 70% rubbing alcahol, bun up the dreads pour it on (you dont got to soak em use plenty but dont got to drench the dreads its the fumes that kill) after u pour on a bunch wrap the bunned dreads in plastic wrap tuightly to seal in the fumes for a good 30 minutes

tips: the fumes may overwhelm you too so use a paper towel tube or a hose or tube to breathe tyhru to get fresh air from a foor or more away especialy if u got asthma or breathing issues, also..the alcahol wikl steralize the bite wounds but ..will sting like crazy so..scream yell punch the wall..but get through it u gotto leave it on long enough they can hold their breath 14 minutes so 30 minutes is a good guaranteed kill time

after washing it out pour on undluted acv soak 10 minutes and wash again this helps dissiolve the egg casing glue so they come off

most important

repeat these steps every 3 days..not 4 or 5 must be 3 for a min of 9 days

also adding neem seed oil to your shampoo u use to wash out the alcahol will help too

and in between treatments teatree oil will keep u sane when they are chewing on you apply it to your scalp they hate it so will not bite for sa couple hours when thery do start biting reapply

fleas

if your house is infested with fleas treat your pets or house or both no need to treat you only the house or pets

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Pranee RN
@pranee-rn
12 years ago
23 posts

Right on soaring eagle! I spend a lot of time in the woods and I use an all natural shampoo as a rinse. It is for dogs, but it has citronella,rosemary, and tea tree oil in it. it is residue free and my dreads like it too!

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is good information to have. I don't have lice and I hope to never get it but I do have a 7yr old and I really can't control other cubs buggers.

And, even though fleas will not live on people hair, they sure can be a nuisance. I have learned the hard way that I am a tasty snack to the local flea population (used to be bitten from the knees down so bad that I was embarrassed to show my legs to anyone.) But, if you take in garlic they will be less likely to bite you. Also, they do not like eucalyptus. I used to place euc leaves under my bed and around my place (for those of you that want to avoid chemical sprays.)

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Thanks once again SE, as always comin thru in the clutch. ill keep this info nearby. Thanks to everyone else too.

Zero
@zero
12 years ago
37 posts

this should be a sticky thanks for the info

soaring eagle said:

teatree will prevent lice

fleas will not infest humans they will bite you for a quick snack but will not live on you

lice if you get them take 70% rubbing alcahol, bun up the dreads pour it on (you dont got to soak em use plenty but dont got to drench the dreads its the fumes that kill) after u pour on a bunch wrap the bunned dreads in plastic wrap tuightly to seal in the fumes for a good 30 minutes

tips: the fumes may overwhelm you too so use a paper towel tube or a hose or tube to breathe tyhru to get fresh air from a foor or more away especialy if u got asthma or breathing issues, also..the alcahol wikl steralize the bite wounds but ..will sting like crazy so..scream yell punch the wall..but get through it u gotto leave it on long enough they can hold their breath 14 minutes so 30 minutes is a good guaranteed kill time

after washing it out pour on undluted acv soak 10 minutes and wash again this helps dissiolve the egg casing glue so they come off

most important

repeat these steps every 3 days..not 4 or 5 must be 3 for a min of 9 days

also adding neem seed oil to your shampoo u use to wash out the alcahol will help too

and in between treatments teatree oil will keep u sane when they are chewing on you apply it to your scalp they hate it so will not bite for sa couple hours when thery do start biting reapply

fleas

if your house is infested with fleas treat your pets or house or both no need to treat you only the house or pets

Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts

I, too, spend a lot of time outdoors, and I worry about what may get caught up in my hair. What brand pet shampoo are you using as a rinse? I would like to keep some on hand (and I can use it for the pups, too!)

Thanks!

Pranee said:

Right on soaring eagle! I spend a lot of time in the woods and I use an all natural shampoo as a rinse. It is for dogs, but it has citronella,rosemary, and tea tree oil in it. it is residue free and my dreads like it too!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just get the oils..citronela teatree and rosemary but id add lemon grass and neem seed oils to be the most effective maybe eucolyptus too

Nogawar said:

I, too, spend a lot of time outdoors, and I worry about what may get caught up in my hair. What brand pet shampoo are you using as a rinse? I would like to keep some on hand (and I can use it for the pups, too!)

Thanks!

Pranee said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nick Knox
@nick-knox
12 years ago
4 posts

SE, thanx for the information! I just found out today that my younger cousin that lives here has head lice. Not much. But this is good to know for ifany move my way lol

The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
There is a fossil flour called diatomaceous earth it is a natural flea and termite.(pretty much every bug with a waxy exoskeleton).if your house has fleas put it in your vacuum Bag and all over your carpets let sit for a few days vacuum up .make sure you throw the bag out after too. If you have pets sprinkle on pets coat then rub in(after they have been bathed ) .it may take a few weeks and don't repeating. But it works
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form