Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What about lice in dreadlocks?

Courtney J
@courtney-j
15 years ago
100 posts

I remember when I was doing some research on dreads awhile back. Someone had started a discussion on another forum about fleas getting into your dreads . Ok now, I am pretty sure that fleas arent attracted to humans, or at least they wont reproduce on the human scalp due to the natural oils and such. But it did however lead me to ponder the whole lice thing. What exactly would you do to get rid of lice in dreads. I would think that the lice kits you get at the store would be too strong for dreads. I don't have lice but I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

updated by @courtney-j: 02/14/15 06:26:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
neem seed oilalcahol and cayansulpher powderwith any do a straight undiluted apple cidar vinagar soak afterrepeaqt often to break reproduction cyclewash absolutely everything all clothes all furnitureif your cars infestted..seal it up for 2 weeks let em starve..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lord Panzer
@lord-panzer
15 years ago
12 posts
Acctually, you could just dye your dreads at a saloon. Just dye them in your natural collor, the chemicals are so poisionus that the lice and their eggs die. I friend of mine tried it, and it solved the problem:)But if you wanna go natural, and not damage your scalp with chemicals, listen to soaringeagle:P
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
see i just gotta say that this was a very good question cuz i was pondering the same issue since my son has dreads and the fact that kids are more prone to it especially once he started school. thanks for the good question dude and birlliant answers guys as well.
Courtney J
@courtney-j
15 years ago
100 posts
Yeah i was seriously worried about the flea thing in the beginning cuz i have a dont that is too spoiled to sleep anywhere but in my bed. Then it made sense to me to question lice.
Jessica
@jessica
15 years ago
70 posts
I have three cats, my hair gets itchy, i asked the vet if i could get fleas she said no haha. I mean as long as they weren't hurting me i wouldn't really mind anyway but still the itchiness sucks.I've also thought about the lice deal since i want to be a teacher i will be around children that may have it.. i guess its just a risk you take... Who cares dont think about it unless it happens.
Krystal Ste
@krystal-ste
14 years ago
1 posts
You definetly can get FLEAS in your dreads. And yes, they definetly will reproduce in them also... eggs all over. I can say this because I have had fleas in mine since my cats ended up wtih a bunch of them. Being around their fur gave me fleas. And yes, they are FLEAS not LICE. Very tricky to get rid of too, currently trying Neem oil.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
try the alcohol tooneems great but the alcohol will have em raining outtie dreads up in a bun, pour alcohol over dreads wrap in plastic wrap and leave it like that 1/2 hourthey cant breathe the alcohol fumes and it kills emtry 70% rubbing alcohol..90% works but might be extra harsh...if u have asthma or breathing issues ..breathe through a tube to get fresh air from a foot or more away so your not breathing the fumes too

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Drench your dreads in rubbing alcohol and then tie some sort of bag around them (similar to what you would do if you were coloring with henna). You'll have to repeat this process for 3-7 days though, as it will kill the lice but not the lice eggs. Afterwards, make sure to rinse with acv/vinegar of your choice, and you're gravy!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
suposedly even meat tenderizer and cocacola works the meat tenderizer dissilves theyre exoskeletons and coke acts like vinagar dissilving eggstheres like 100 non chemical treatments that work better then the typical chemical treatments cause the chemicals can only be used every 7-10 days so cant break the birth cycle and bugs become immune to them..but theres no way to become immune to suffocation or dissolving your skelotonmant homeless shelters use the mayonese method

--
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form